Department of Elementary Education records
Department of Elementary Education records
Materials include correspondence, class schedules and textbooks, materials from the American Association for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation (AAHPER), and student files about completion of degrees and graduation. Topics include requests for materials from the bookstore and articles from AAHPER. Dated 1965-1980.
- Extent: 8 cartons (8 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Education (1970-1972). -- Brigham Young University. Department of Teacher Education
- Call Number: UA 5319
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in two series: 1. Correspondence, reports, and other material. 2. Student files.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Elementary Education records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 5319; Department of Elementary Education records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5319, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Found in the stacks in August of 2007.
- Acquisition Information
- Found; stacks; 2007.
- Subject Terms
- American Association for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation; Colleges and Universities; Teachers--Training of--Utah--Provo
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Schedules; Student records
- Processing Information
- Processed; Stephanie Christiansen; August 2007. Processed; Matthew Leavitt; February 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college files (University Archives collecting policy July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Department of Elementary Education records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sarah Flinders
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-09-10T09:42-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Department of Teacher Education was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.
The Department of Teacher Education, previously known as the Department of Instruction, took its name in 1962. An instructional unit within the College of Education, the department taught courses in pedagogy, educational psychology, basic classroom procedures, and curriculum development. The department was administered by a department chair, under the direction of the dean of the college. Chairs included Dean C. Christensen (1962-1964) and Stephen L. Alley (1964-1970). In 1970 the department merged with the Graduate Department of Education to form the Department of Education.
The Department of Education was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.
The Department of Education was formed in 1970 in a merger of the Department of Teacher Education and the Graduate Department of Education of the College of Education. The department prepared teachers in the areas of elementary, secondary, and special education. It was administered by Curtis Van Alfen as department chair, under the direction of the college dean. In 1972 the unit was again split to form the departments of Educational Administration, Educational Psychology, Elementary Education, and Secondary Education and Foundations.
The Department of Elementary Education was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.
The Department of Elementary Education was created in 1972 as part of a division of the earlier Department of Education in the College of Education. The department sought to provide an opportunity for prospective teachers to learn about the culture of the elementary school, to develop a foundation in principles of teaching and learning based on theory and research, and to become proficient in applying these principles. Courses included subject-based teaching methods, special topics, children's literature, and practicums. The department was administered by a chair, under the direction of the college dean. Chairs included Max J. Berryessa (1972-1974), Floyd Sucher (1974-1977), James E. Baird (1978-1987), James W. Dunn (1987-1991), Paul M. Hollingsworth (1991-1993), and D. Ray Reutzel (1993-1997). In 1997 the department was reorganized under the newly established David O. McKay School of Education as the Department of Teacher Education.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 5319
Department of Elementary Education correspondence, reports, and other material
Department of Elementary Education student files
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives