College of Humanities records
College of Humanities records
Collection contains correspondence, reports, and minutes from the College of Humanities dated 1991-2006. The materials pertain to College Administrative Council meetings and retreats, Joseph F. Smith Building information, commencement, and the work of the dean.
- Extent: 7 cartons (7 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. College of Humanities
- Call Number: UA 5390
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2031) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Contains two series: 1. College of Humanities records, 1991-2006. 2. College of Humanities dean's records, 1991-1997. The materials were left in the order in which they were found. This order appears to be grouped by subject with some materials in chronological and alphabetical order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from College of Humanities records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 5390; College of Humanities records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5390, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in installments between 2008 and 2012.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; February 2008. Transferred; Records Management; July 2009. Transferred; Records Management; May 2012.
- Related Material
- See also Brigham Young University College of Humanities, 1960-1997 (UA 1217).
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; Education, Secondary--Utah; Karl G. Maeser Building (Provo, Utah); Brigham Young University. College of Humanities; Brigham Young University. College of Humanities--Archives; Brigham Young University--Buildings
- Genre / Form
- Corporate minutes; Reports; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; Matthew Leavitt; February 2008 and July 2009. Processed; Dani Peterson; May 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- College of Humanities records
- Finding Aid Author
- Matthew Leavitt
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-10-05 10:57:55 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The College of Humanities (1965- ) functions to provide a liberal education for students at Brigham Young University as well as opportunities for pedagogical preparation.
The College of Humanities was created in 1965, through a division of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. The college consisted of four areas: the Department of English, the Department of Languages, a small inter-departmental program in humanities, and another inter-departmental program in Latin American Studies. In addition to providing degrees in the humanitites, the college prepares leaders and teachers in these subjects, initially emphasizing the study of languages, both English and foreign, and on the cultures and achievements in art and thought of the people who use these languages.
The College of Fine Arts and Communications has been the administering body for the following departments and schools: English, Humanities, Languages, Latin-American Studies, Linguistics, Classical and Asian Languages, French and Italian, Germanic and Slavic Languages, Spanish and Portuguese, Asian and Slavic Languages, Classical, Biblical, and Middle Eastern Languages. Germanic Languages, Humanities and Comparative Literature, American Studies, Humanities, Classics, and Comparative Literature, Linguistics and Special Languages, Mexican American Studies, Philosophy, Asian Studies, Asian and Near Eastern Languages, Germanic and Slavic Languages, Linguistics, French and Italian Languages, Spanish and Portuguese Languages, and Linguistics and English Language. The college is administered by a dean under the direction of the university president.
College deans have included: Bruce B. Clark (1966-1982), Richard H. Cracroft (1982-1987), Todd A. Britsch (1987-1991), Marry Anne Rich (1992-1993), Randall L. Jones (1993-1998), Van C. Gessel (1998-1999), and John R. Rosenberg (2006-).
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 5390
College of Humanities administrative records
College of Humanities dean records
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives