College of Nursing advisement records
College of Nursing advisement records
Contains class rolls, screening forms, correspondence, reports, diagnostic tests, and other material produced by the college as part of their student advisement processes. Materials date from between 1981 and 1991.
- Extent: 1 carton (1 linear ft.)
- Call Number: UA 5396
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (2016) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in two series: 1. Student records. 2. Course syllabi.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the College of Nursing advisement records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 5396; College of Nursing advisement records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5396, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in May 2008.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; May 2008.
- Related Material
- See also the College of Nursing records (UA 1144).
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education; Medicine and Health; Nursing; Nursing students--Utah--Provo; Nursing--Study and teaching--Utah--Provo; Science, Technology, and Health
- Genre / Form
- Blank forms; Letters; Lists; Reports; Student records
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth West; May 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- The Brigham Young University Archives is the repository for the non-current records of Brigham Young University. (Documentation Policy of the Brigham Young University Archives, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- College of Nursing advisement records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sarah Flinders
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-09-12T16:37-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The College of Nursing (1958-) is a college at Brigham Young University.
The School of Nursing was renamed the College of Nursing in 1958. The college existed under a humanistic approach to nursing, focusing on the intrinsic worth of the individual, his or her ability to function in an environment, to be interdependent, and to operate independently. The college first allowed students into the baccalaureate program with advanced standing beginning in the fall of 1966. The following individuals have served as deans of the college: L. Bernice Chapman (1959-1960), Beulah Ream Allen (1961-1965), Lennia Morrison (1966-1967), Elaine Murphy (1968-1971), Maxine J. Cope (1972-1980), Elaine D. Dyer (1980-1987), June Leifson (1987-1994), Sandra Rogers (1994-2000), Elaine S. Marshall (2000-2007), and Mary Williams (2007-).
In September of 1963, the associate degree in the College of Nursing was established, making it one of the few institutions in the country to offer an associate degree in conjunction with a four-year program. During the late 1960s, the college faculty made a change in the curriculum, requiring students to learn the separate role of nursing in correlation to the reaction of an individual to varied circumstances affecting him socially, emotionally, physically, mentally, and/or spiritually, which can be referred to as the nursing model. The previous method of study was known as the medical model, which had students study and practice nursing in relation to specific diseases.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 5396
College of Nursing student records
College of Nursing course syllabi
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives