Wesley P. Lloyd photographs
Wesley P. Lloyd photographs
Collection contains photographs of Lloyd at work and images from a conference for Deans of Students. Materials date from between 1940 and 1958.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Lloyd, Wesley P. (Wesley Parkinson), 1904-1977
- Call Number: UA 5412
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research. Items kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
- Languages and Scripts
- Retained in original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Wesley P. Lloyd photographs must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 5412; Wesley P. Lloyd photographs; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5412, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Found in the stacks in July 2008.
- Related Material
- See also Wesley P. Lloyd collection, 1933-1976 (UA 86).
- Subject Terms
- Lloyd, Wesley P. (Wesley Parkinson), 1904-1977--Photographs; College administrators--Utah--Provo--Photographs; Colleges and Universities; Education
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Matthew Leavitt; July 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Lloyd (Wesley P.) photographs
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Matthew Leavitt
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-05-18T04:03-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Wesley P. Lloyd (1904-1977) was an American college administrator.
Wesley Parkinson Lloyd was born on June 16, 1904 in Ogden, Utah to Charles E. Lloyd and Lucy Parkinson. He graduated from the Latter-day Saints' High School in Salt Lake City, Utah before attending Brigham Young University. He married Lillie (Lucille) Murdock on December 30, 1926 in Salt Lake City, Utah, and they had two children. Lloyd completed his bachelor's degree in Philosophy of Education in 1927.
After graduating he taught social studies for three years at Rexburg High School, then worked another three years as a Mormon seminary principal in Grace and Oakley, Idaho. During this time he also worked to complete a master's degree at Brigham Young University in 1934. He then continued his education at the University of Chicago, earning a Ph.D. in religion and education in 1937.
Lloyd returned to Brigham Young University in 1937, serving on the faculty of the Department of Philosophy of Education from 1937 to 1969. He also served in a variety of administrative roles, including department chair (1937-1944), Dean of Men (1938-1944), Dean of Students (1944-1960), and Dean of the Graduate School (1960-1969). After retiring from BYU, he worked as the dean of the United States International University (1969-1972), director of California Western College (1972-1976), and chair of the Center for Leadership Education (1974-1977). Lloyd died on March 7, 1977 in La Jolla, California.
comments powered by Disqus