Human Resource Services records

Human Resource Services records

Dates: 1955-2007

Contains meeting minutes, correspondence, self-study reports, rosters, handbooks, and other administrative records and reports concerning Human Resource Services from 1955 to 2007.

  • Extent: 22 cartons (22 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Brigham Young University. University Personnel Services. -- Brigham Young University. Human Resource Services. -- Brigham Young University. Placement Bureau. -- Brigham Young University. Placement Center
  • Call Number: UA 5437
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Restricted; Closed for 25 years (until 2034) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
Arranged into eleven series: 1. Human Resource Services meeting minutes, 1991-2003. 2. Human Resource Services administrative documents, 1985-2005. 3. Human Resource Services committee meeting minutes, 1989-2007. 4. Human Resource Services self-study reports, reports, and meeting minutes, 1967-2005. 5. University Personnel Services personnel files and minutes, 1968-1984. 6. University Personnel Services correspondence, 1968-1984. 7. University Personnel Services administrative correspondence and minutes, 1968-1981. 8. University Personnel Services administrative rosters, 1968-1981. 9. University Personnel Services documents and handbook, 1955-1986. 10. Human Resource Services correspondence with administration and law firms, 1967-1990. 11. Human Resource Services academic and administrative department records, 1982-2007.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Human Resource Services records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 5437; Human Resource Services records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5437, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Transferred from Records Management between February 2009 and June 2012. Transferred from Records Management in October 2014.
Acquisition Information
Transferred; University Archivist; February 2009. Transferred; Records Management; December 2010. Transferred; Records Management; May 2011. Transferred; Records Management; June 2012. Transferred; Records Management; October 2014.
Related Material
See also the Personnel Committee minutes (UA 898) and the Organizational Development and Training Department records (UA 1143).
Subject Terms
College personnel management; Colleges and Universities; Education; Brigham Young University. University Personnel Services; Brigham Young University--Administration; Brigham Young University. Human Resource Services; Brigham Young University--Employees; Brigham Young University. Placement Bureau; Brigham Young University. Placement Center
Genre / Form
Reports; Corporate minutes; Letters
Processing Information
Processed; Kayla Quinney; February 2009. Processed; Elizabeth West; January 2011. Processed; Elizabeth West; May 2011. Processed; Stephanie Laabs; June 2012. Processed; Erin Owens; October 2014.
Appraisal Information
Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA5437
Finding Aid Title
Human Resource Services records
Finding Aid Author
Kayla Quinney
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-08 16:35:18 -0600.
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The Placement Bureau existed from 1952 to 1961 and assisted with the placement of graduates and the employment of students.

The Placement Bureau was established in 1952 as a centralized organization to work with all college deans and department chairs of the University in the placement of graduates, as well as to provide a systematic and more effective service to students who needed and desired employment while attending school. The Placement Bureau developed and expanded from a part-time employment office and services that existed previously. In 1961, the Placement Bureau changed its name to the Placement Center. B. Keith Duffin was the director (1952-1961).

Administrative History

The Department of University Personnel Services was founded in 1969 and became Human Resource Services in 1990 and dealt with the employment of personnel and faculty.

Because of the growth and success of the Placement Center and the Employment Office, these offices merged into the Department of University Personnel Services in 1969. Personnel Services was given a Director, B. Keith Duffin, who served until 1984. He was given the responsibilities of recruiting and recommending the employment of administrative personnel. The Placement Center and the Employment Office continued as subunits with their respective responsibilities. Duffin oversaw the Benefits Office, the Ad Hoc Age Discrimination Committee, Communication Committee, Pre-School Conference Committee for Administrative Personnel and Staff, and the Church Educational System Personnel and Employee Benefits Committee. He also completed a personnel policies and procedures book, organized a personnel program and administrative personnel, organized a training program, held meetings with various staff and committees (Leadership Training, Public Relations Coordinating, Retirement, Pre-School Conference, University Safety Committees, and the Student Financial Aids Council), and oversaw the Personnel Committee.

More subunits were created as Personnel Services continued to grow. Jay A. Adamson became the Managing Director of Personnel Services in August of 1984. In 1990, University Personnel Services became Human Resource Services, maintaining much of its structure.

Administrative History

Human Resource Services is a department at Brigham Young University that deals with employment and was founded in 1990.

In 1990, University Personnel Services became Human Resource Services (HR). HR was run by Assistant Administrative Vice Presidents, who included: Carolyn P. Lloyd (1990-1994), R. Blair Condie (1996-1997), Carolyn Lloyd Henrie (1997-1999), R. Blair Condie (1999-2005), and Forrest L. Flake (2005- ).

Human Resource Services is the department that takes care of employment at Brigham Young University (BYU). The mission of the Brigham Young University Human Resource Services is to lead in building an environment that engenders excellence from all who work at BYU. Under the direction of the Administrative Vice President, the Assistant Administrative Vice President-Human Resource Services has responsibility for university human resource programs. This responsibility includes recruiting and hiring staff and administrative employees, maintaining personnel records, providing employment assistance for students, implementing and maintaining benefits programs, overseeing employee compensation, human resource development, organization development/consulting services, unemployment compensation, and service awards.

The Assistant Administrative Vice President-Human Resource Services has responsibility for Area HR Consultants, Compensation and Temple Eligibility Program, Employment Services, Equal Opportunity/Employee Relations and Benefit Services, Human Resource Development, and Human Resource Information Systems. As of 2011, the Assistant Administrative Vice President-Human Resource Services is Forrest Flake.

Within the Human Resource Services are many departments including Area HR Consultants, Awards & Recognition, Benefits, Student Employment, Equal Opportunity, HR Information Systems, Compensation, Ecclesiastical Clearance, Employee Relations, Human Resource Development, Office of the Assistant Administrative Vice President-Human Resource Services, and Staff & Administrative Employment.

Administrative History

Brigham Young Universities Placement Center (1961-1995) was a campus administrative office that assisted students in find jobs after graduation.

Previously known as the Placement Bureau, the Placement Center took its name in 1961. In addition to providing services to graduating students, the center was also involved in student employment and non-academic university hiring. When it was first established the center reported directly to the university administration, but after 1969 it was placed under University Personnel Services. It was transferred again in 1985 to Placement and Employment Services, before the center was renamed in 1995 as Career Placement Services.The Placement Center at Brigham Young University was a campus administrative office that assisted students in find jobs after graduation. Previously known as the Placement Bureau, the Placement Center took its name in 1961. In addition to providing services to graduating students, the center was also involved in student employment and non-academic university hiring. When it was first established the center reported directly to the university administration, but after 1969 it was placed under University Personnel Services. It was transferred again in 1985 to Placement and Employment Services, before the center was renamed in 1995 as Career Placement Services.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Series I in UA 5437

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu