Brigham Young University payroll records

Brigham Young University payroll records

Dates: 1950-1953, 1965-1966

The collection contains payroll records for Brigham Young University during the years 1950-1953 and 1965-1966.

  • Extent: 4 oversize boxes (3 linear ft.)
  • Call Number: UA 5463
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
The materials have been left in the original order in which they were found which is chronologically.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Brigham Young University payroll records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 5463; Brigham Young University payroll records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5463, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Found in the Stacks in May 2009.
Acquisition Information
Found; Stacks; May 2009.
Subject Terms
Colleges and Universities; Education
Genre / Form
Payrolls
Processing Information
Processed; Matthew Leavitt; May 2009.
Appraisal Information
Part of University Archives; department records (University Archives collecting policy July 2003).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA5463
Finding Aid Title
Brigham Young University payroll records
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Matthew Leavitt
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-08T11:31-0600
Finding Aid Language
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

Brigham Young University traces its roots to Utah's rich pioneer heritage. The original school, Brigham Young Academy, was established Oct. 16, 1875, on a little over one acre of land in what is now downtown Provo. At that time, Brigham Young, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, charged that all secular learning at the institution should be fused with teachings from the scriptures. Speaking to Academy Principal Karl G. Maeser, President Young said, "Brother Maeser, I want you to remember that you ought not to teach even the alphabet or the multiplication tables without the Spirit of God." BYU has remained true to that original charge. Despite steady growth during its early years, the academy was threatened by a series of financial and physical setbacks. With the help and sacrifice of Abraham O. Smoot, the campus moved in 1891 to new facilities located on University Avenue. The academy's curriculum strengthened and enrollment grew. In 1903, the name was officially changed to Brigham Young University. Work began in 1909 on the Maeser Memorial Building, the first of many structures on the university's present site. Successive university administrations oversaw the university's progressive growth, increasing both the number of buildings and the size of the student body. The university's academic development was signified by the inauguration of the school's first doctoral program in 1957. With the help of committed presidents, the university continued to grow, refine its mission and pursue excellence in academics and faith. Today, under the leadership of President Cecil O. Samuelson, the university remains dedicated to the integration of academic excellence with faith in Jesus Christ and His restored gospel.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu