Aspen Grove DVD

Aspen Grove DVD

Dates: 2009

This collection includes an audiovisual CD of the Beckham Lodge dedication at Aspen Grove family camp in Utah on August 9, 2009. Speakers of the dedication included Aspen Grove Camp Director Glen C. Parker, Raymond E. Beckham, and Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. Running time is approximately 53 minutes.

  • Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
  • Call Number: UA 5518
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
Languages and Scripts
English
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Aspen Grove DVD must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 5518; Aspen Grove DVD; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5518, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Found in University Archives workroom, September 2009.
Acquisition Information
Found; University Archives workroom; September 2009.
Related Material
See also UA 5567.
Subject Terms
Beckham, Raymond E.; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Holland, Jeffrey R., 1940-; Parker, Glen C.; Aspen Grove (Utah); Colleges and Universities; Education
Processing Information
Processed; Kayla Quinney; September 2009.
Appraisal Information
Part of University Archives; University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA5518
Finding Aid Title
Aspen Grove DVD
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Kayla Quinney
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:42-0600
Finding Aid Language
English.
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

Aspen Grove initially connected to Brigham Young University for educational purposes and is now a large camping destination for families.

Aspen Grove first became linked with Brigham Young University when the late Eugene L. Roberts used the area as the starting point of the annual Timp hike in 1911. About 10 years later, the Stewart family donated approximately 35 acres of this land to BYU. In 1922 Brigham Young University scheduled the Alpine Summer School at Aspen Grove. The staff and students lived in tents and studied botany, zoology and geology. In 1923 a kitchen, dining hall, and three dormitories were erected. Later, during World War II, summer school was abandoned at Aspen Grove for various war-related reasons. Raymond Beckham, director of the Alumni Association, became interested in using the area as a family camp for BYU in 1956. At a board meeting on October 10, 1962, the project was approved. More than 111 alumni were approached and each signed a personal note for $1,000 to finance construction. Construction began in the fall of 1962. The swimming pool was excavated, the softball field leveled, sewer lines started, cabin sites selected, and camp roads established. The camp opened for business July 13, 1963. The average number of families during the first years of the camp was eight each week. The camp’s popular dinner bell came from a 3500 series coal-fired steam engine donated by the Union Pacific Railroad. Aspen Grove has grown to an average occupancy of 80 families per week. The camp personnel serve as hosts to thousands of guests each year.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu