James R. Kearl papers
James R. Kearl papers
James R. Kearl papers include research files; correspondence; conference, seminar, and university workshop presentations; university committees and council work; and teacher evaluations.
- Extent: 7 cartons ; (7 linear ft.)
- Creator: Kearl, James R.
- Call Number: UA 5527
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (2035) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- This collection has been arranged into three series. I. James R. Kearl research files, 1974-1991. II. James R. Kearl correspondence, 1974-1991. III. James R. Kearl university files, 1974-1991. Each of the series has been left in its original order which is grouped by subject.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the James R. Kearl papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 5527; James R. Kearl papers; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5527, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in March 2010.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; March 2010.
- Related Material
- Dept. of Economics faculty and prominent alumni files (UA 5290), Dept. of Economics records (UA 1231).
- Subject Terms
- Kearl, James R.; Economics and Banking
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kayla Quinney; March 2010.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Kearl (James R.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kayla Quinney
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:42-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
James R. Kearl (born May 27, 1947) is the Abraham O. Smoot Professor of Economics at Brigham Young University (BYU). From 1986-1989 Kearl served as the Dean of General Education and Honors at BYU. In 2007-2008 Kearl was the director of the BYU Jerusalem Center. Kearl was born in Logan, Utah. Kearl holds a degree from Harvard Law School as well as a Ph.D. in Economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He received his bachelors degree from Utah State University. Kearl was a teaching fellow while studying at Harvard Law School. He joined the faculty of BYU in 1975. From 1983-1984 he served as a special assistant to the United States Secretary of Defense. After his time as dean of general education and honors, Kearl served as Associate Academic Vice President of BYU from 1989-1991. From 1991-1994 Kearl served as a member of the United States Census Bureau Advisory Board on Population Statistics. Since 2005 Kearl has served as chair of the Food and Care Coalition's Board. Kearl is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and has served as a stake president at BYU. Kearl has done many studies in cooperation with Clayne L. Pope and Larry T. Wimmer. They have been some of the leading writers of 19th Century Mormon economic life. Information taken from the following website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_R._Kearl
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
UA in UA 5527
James R. Kearl research files
James R. Kearl correspondence
James R. Kearl university files
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives