Department of Visual Arts records

Department of Visual Arts records

Dates: bulk 1980-2007, 1955-2010

Contains award information and donation financial records from the Brigham Young University Department of Visual Arts, as well as exhibit slides, brochures, outlines, drawings, correspondence, and other materials concerning student and faculty fine arts exhibitions, galleries, and other exhibition records. Materials date from between 1955 and 2010.

  • Extent: 18 cartons (18 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Art (1920-1973). -- Brigham Young University. Department of Art and Design. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Design. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Visual Arts
  • Call Number: UA 5532
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2035) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
Arranged into 4 series: 1. Department of Visual Arts awards and donation records, 1986-2005. 2. Department of Art exhibit slides, 1955-1995. 3. Department of Visual Arts exhibit records, 1988-2005. 4. Department of Visual Arts faculty histories, 1959-2010.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Department of Visual Arts records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 5532; Department of Visual Arts records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5532, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Transferred from Records Management in March 2010. Transferred from Records Management in July 2011. Transferred from Records Management in December 2012. Transferred from Records Management in May 2013.
Acquisition Information
Transferred; Records Management; March 2010. Transferred; Records Management; July 2011. Transferred; Records Management; December 2012. Transferred; Records Management; May 2013.
Subject Terms
Brigham Young University. Department of Art (1920-1973)--Archives; Brigham Young University. Department of Art and Design--Archives; Brigham Young University. Department of Design--Archives; Brigham Young University. Department of Visual Arts--Archives; Art museums--Utah; Art--Utah--Exhibitions; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Colleges and Universities; Education; Fine Arts; Universities and colleges--Utah--Provo--Faculty
Genre / Form
Brochures; Financial records; Letters; Outlines; Slides (Photography)
Processing Information
Processed; Kayla Quinney; April 2010. Processed; Elizabeth West; July 2011. Processed; Joseph Wiest; December 2012. Processed; Joseph Wiest; May 2013.
Appraisal Information
Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA5532
Finding Aid Title
Department of Visual Arts records
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Kayla Quinney
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-06-10T14:56-0600
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The Department of Visual Arts (1996- ) is a department in the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Visual Arts was established as a part of the College of Fine Arts and Communications in 1996 with the merging of the Department of Art and the Department of Design. The Department Chairs are: Michael D. Day (1996-1998), Mark J. Johnson (1998-2004), John W. Telford (2004-2006), and Linda Sullivan (2006- ).

The Department of Visual Arts was established to prepare competent professionals in various fields of plastic and graphic arts, to prepare qualified designers in problem solving of two- and three-dimensional application, to train historians who can critically appraise works of art, to prepare art educators to teach visual arts at various levels, and to help individuals develop their aesthetic sense.

Administrative History

The Department of Art (1920-1973) was a department under the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University. The department was responsible for academic instruction in the areas of drawing, painting, design, vocational crafts, and home planning.

The Department of Art was established in 1920 as part of the newly founded School of Arts and Sciences. It later belonged to the College of Arts and Sciences (1921-1925), the College of Fine Arts (1925-1963), and the College of Fine Arts and Communications (1963- ). Department chairs included Elbert H. Eastmond (1920-1936), Bent F. Larsen (1937-1954), J. Roman Andrus (1960-1961), Richard L. Gunn (1962-1965), Glen A. Turner (1966-1969), Floyd E. Breinholt (1970-1971), and W. Douglas Stout (1972-1973).

Administrative History

The Department of Art and Design (1973-1981) was a department in the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Art and Design was established in 1973 and was part of the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Those who served as Department Chairmen were: Douglas Stout (1973-1977) and Robert L. Marshall (1977-1981). In 1981 the department was split into two separate departments; namely, the Department of Art and the Department of Design.

A degree with emphasis on a professional specialty was offered to students to prepare them for a career in one of the disciplines of the arts. The Dept. of Art and Design offered four degrees: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Master of Arts and Master of Fine Arts.

Administrative History

The Department of Design (1981-1996) was a department in the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Design was established in 1981 and was part of the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Previously the curriculum for design was in the Department of Art and Design and the Department of Interior Environment. In 1996 the department merged with the Department of Art to form the new Department of Visual Arts. Department Chairmen for Design included Michael C. Graves (1981-1982), W. Douglas Stout (1982-1987, 1989-1992), John W. Sipherd (1987-1989), and Robert T. Barrett (1992-1996).

The Department of Design included students who were pursing the following degrees: Design (B.A.); Environmental Design (BFA); Interior Design (BFA); Industrial Design (BFA); Graphic Design (BFA); Illustration (BFA); Exhibit Design (BFA); and Crafts Design (BFA).

Administrative History

The Department of Art (1981-1996) was a department within the College of FIne Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Art became a part of the College of Fine Arts and Communications in 1981. The department was previously named the Department of Art and Design. In 1996 the department merged with the Department of Design to form the new Department of Visual Arts. Department chairmen for Art included Robert L. Marshall (1981-1982; 1988-1995), Franz Johansen (1982-1985), Sherron D. Hill (1985-1988), and Michael D. Day (1995-1997).

The Department of Art served two main purposes: (a) the preparation of creative leaders in the various fields of the plastic and graphic arts and (b) the building of an appreciative audience for these arts.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Series in UA 5532

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu