Walter A. Gong papers
Walter A. Gong papers
Collection contains Science Education Program evaluations, tests and keys, natural science class notes and assignments, non-science reference examples, San José State University correspondence, General Education Science Program student evaluations, San José State College project materials, mathematical games, reference examples, science-philosophy notes, class notes, student exams, stories and scripture activities, bioethics, correspondence, articles, and other materials relating to Gong's professional career in education. Materials date from between 1964 and 1997.
- Extent: 1 oversize folder (2 linear ft.). -- 4 cartons (4 linear ft.)
- Creator: Gong, Walter A.
- Call Number: UA 5578
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- The collection retained its original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Walter A. Gong papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 5578; Walter A. Gong papers; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5578, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by the Walter Gong family in July 2011.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Walter Gong family; July 2011.
- Subject Terms
- Gong, Walter A.--Archives; San José State University--Faculty; Colleges and Universities; Education; Mathematics--Study and teaching; Science--Study and teaching
- Genre / Form
- Articles; Examinations; Letters; Notes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth West; July 2011. Processed; Dani Peterson; January 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Gong (Walter A.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elizabeth West
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-01-10T15:18-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Walter A. Gong (1922-2000) was a professor of natural sciences at San José State University and Brigham Young University, and an educational theorist.
Walter Albert Gong was born in Merced, California, in 1922. He served in the United States Navy during World War II. He then went on to earn his bachelor's, master's, and Ph.D. degrees from Stanford University. During his time at the university he met Jean Char, who introduced him to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and whom he later married. Gong and his wife had three children, including Gerrit W. Gong who served as a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Gong began his teaching career at Sequoia High School in Redwood City, California. He later became a professor at San José State University and taught there from 1959 to 1993. He co-authored a book on mechanics with William Shockley. In the late 1970s Gong was a professor at Brigham Young University and Ricks College, while also participating in teaching work with IBM and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
Walter Gong died on May 16, 2000.
comments powered by Disqus