Broadcast Services records
Broadcast Services records
Contains correspondence and other files from the Office of the Director.
- Extent: 22 boxes (11 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Broadcast Services
- Call Number: UA 558
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection is divided into three series: 1. Broadcast Services files from the office of Director Earl J. Glade, 1962-1972; 2. Broadcast Services files from the office of Director Bruce Christensen, 1969-1974; and 3. Broadcast Services files from the office of Directors Earl J. Glade, Jr. and Bruce L. Christensen, 1944-1977.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Broadcast Services records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: UA 558; Broadcast Services records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: UA 558, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Materials were transferred from the private collection of the donor.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Broadcast Services.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA558.xml
- Related Material
- Instructional Television Services (Later KBYU Television Production and still later Video Production) For records mostly previous to 1976 see division of Learning Resource Collection, U.A. 282A (Page 35 in Register For records 1976 and after see video production in U.A. card catalog or 011 in U.A. awaiting processing as stored on level 1, Room 1004, HBLL.
- Subject Terms
- Brigham Young University. Broadcast Services; Christensen, Bruce L.; Glade, Earl J. (Earl Joseph), 1911-2001; Colleges and Universities; Education
- Genre / Form
- Corporate minutes; Letters; Reports
- Processing Information
- Processed; James Cloward.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Broadcast Services records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by James Cloward
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-02T04:28-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Earl Glade was director of Broadcast Services from 1966-1972. Bruce Christensen was appointed director in 1972.
Broadcast Services produces radio and television programs for KBYU-FM, KBYU-TV, and commercial stations. It also assists in group viewing utilizing large screen TV, classroom TV, closed circuit operation and released tapes to stations through the University Broadcasting Service Network.
In 1958 , BYU purchased an FM radio transmitter from Snow College and was given licence to operate in 1960 under the call number of KBRG-FM. The director of the radio and TV center at this was T.M. Williams who served in this capacity until 1966 . June 1961, BYU bought the KLOR franchise and began operating KBYU-TV on channel 11.
During 1958, ground was broken in Carterville for a new Motion Picture studio, Broadcast Services, the Photo Studio, and the Audio-Visual Center. A devastating fire caused extensive damage to this building in 1964. In 1965, the four programs consolidated to form the Division of Communication Services. Darrel J. Monson was named head of the department.
From 1966 to 1972, Earl J. Glade Jr. served as director of the Broadcast Services department and was responsible for introducing video-taped television instruction into the classrooms. In 1972, Bruce L. Christensen was appointed director and is presently serving in that position.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 558
Broadcast Services files from the office of Director Earl J. Glade
Broadcast Services files from the office of Director Bruce Christensen: general subject files
Broadcast Services files from the office of Directors Earl J. Glade, Jr. and Bruce L. Christensen
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives