Brigham Young University Bookstore training videos
Brigham Young University Bookstore training videos
Collection contains videocassettes used by the Brigham Young University Bookstore Training Services to train employees. The videocassettes concern back-to-school promotions, University conferences, the History of the BYU Bookstore, "Rise and Shout," the United Way Campaign, Imperial Tombs of China, and other materials, 1992-1999.
- Extent: 1 carton (1 linear ft.)
- Call Number: UA 5585
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open to public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- This collection retained its original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the BYU Bookstore training records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 5585; BYU Bookstore training records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5585, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from the BYU Bookstore in 2010.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; BYU Bookstore; 2010.
- Subject Terms
- Bookstores--Employees--Training of; Colleges and Universities; Education; Education, Higher--Utah--Provo
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth West; September 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Brigham Young University Bookstore training videos
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elizabeth West
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2011-09-26T10:56-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Brigham Young University Bookstore (1952-) is part of Auxillary Services at Brigham Young University and supplies required textbooks and other academic materials to the University and the community.
The first bookstore at Brigham Young University was eatablished in 1906, when it was organized as the Students' Supply Association. It was brought about due to requests from students in favor of sending directly to publishing and supply houses for books and other supplies to get them at better prices. In 1952, shortly before the Students' Supply Association was renamed the BYU Bookstore, President Wilkinson appointed a Board of Directors as its administrative organization. A new manager was also appointed, directly responsible to the Board of Directors. The board reported directly to the Board of Trustees and the University President. However, even after the creation of the Board of Directors, the bookstore remained somewhat of an orphan operation since it was not a part of any academic college or specific administrative organization. Original members included Herald R. Clark, Chairman; Ben E. Lewis, Secretary; William F. Edwards, Director; Clarence E. Boyle, Director; Dr. Antone K. Romney, Director; Myron Walker, Student Body Business Manager; Kiefer B. Sauls, ex-officio member; and Ernest L. Wilkinson, ex-officio member. At that time, Neil McKnight was also appointed Manager, directly responsible to the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors of the Bookstore reported directly to the Board of Trustees and President of the University.
At the time the Bookstore was made a part of Auxiliary Services, Ben E. Lewis was serving as Vice President in Charge of Auxiliary Services and later as Vice President in Charge of Auxiliary and Communications Services. The Bookstore Manager during these years was Ivan L. Sanderson. By 1968, Ben E. Lewis had become Vice President over Business Affairs with Fred A. Schwendiman as Director of Auxiliary Services. In 1970, Roger E. Utley became Manager of the Bookstore. By 1976, it was still under the leadership of Ben E. Lewis, now Executive Vice President, and Lyle S. Curtis was serving as Auxiliary Services Director.
In 1984, President Jeffrey R. Holland appointed John B. Stohlton as Assistant Executive Vice President for Auxiliary Services, of which the BYU Bookstore was still a part. Stohlton reported to Dr. William Rolfe Kerr, Executive Vice President. In 1985, Stohlton was named Executive Vice President, replacing Kerr. Clyde J. Bair then became Assistant Executive Vice President of Auxiliary Services. He was replaced in 1989 by Dean Fairbank under the leadership of President Rex E. Lee.
By 1990, Dee F. Andersen had taken over the Vice Presidential position with stewardship over the Assistant Administrative Vice President of Auxiliary Services. In 1991, Fairbank's title was altered to Assistant Vice President of Student/Auxiliary Services and later to Assistant Student Life Vice President of Student Auxiliary Services. In 1996, Dean Fairbank was reporting to Student Life Vice President and Dean of Student Life Maren M. Mouritsen, then to Alton L. Wade, Student Life Vice President. By 1998, David A. Hunt had been appointed as Assistant Student Life Vice President of Student Auxiliary Services. By 2001, his title had changed to Assistant Administrative Vice President of Student Auxiliary Services and he reported to Brad W. Farnsworth, Administrative Vice President. Roger L. Reynolds was serving as Bookstore Manager.
comments powered by Disqus