Brigham Young University Chapter records
Brigham Young University Chapter records
Contains scrapbooks, membership records, awards, and various other records from the Blue Key National Honor Fraternity Brigham Young University Chapter. Also contains a journal published by the national organization, 1932-2001.
- Extent: 1 oversize box (1.5 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Blue Key (Fraternity). Brigham Young University Chapter
- Call Number: UA 5597
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Arranged in five series: 1. Scrapbooks, 1932-1986. 2. Membership records, 1950-1999. 3. Award recognitions, 1975-2001. 4. Blue Key journal, 1992. 5. History, lists, and other material, circa 1992.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Brigham Young University Chapter records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: UA 5597; Brigham Young University Chapter records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citation: UA 5597, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Larry Peer in March 2012.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Larry Peer; March 2012.
- Subject Terms
- Blue Key (Fraternity). Brigham Young University Chapter--Archives; Colleges and Universities; Education; Societies--Utah--Provo
- Genre / Form
- Awards; Membership lists; Periodicals; Scrapbooks
- Processing Information
- Processed; Dani Peterson; March 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Brigham Young University Chapter records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Dani Peterson
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-05-04T09:56-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Blue Key (Fraternity) Brigham Young University Chapter (1932-2009) was an academic and service organization comprised of both men and women who ranked in the top of the class.
In 1925, the university petitioned the Blue Key National Honor Fraternity for the installation of a local chapter at Brigham young University (BYU). In 1932, the national organization contacted BYU with news that it could begin a chapter. Clyde Sandgren was appointed chairman of an investigation and organization committee, and ten men were appointed as officers and charter members. With a motto of "Serving, I live," the early days of the organization brought sponsorship of the Freshmen Treck, homecoming day, various hikes, and a trophy case in the library. The blue key symbol was adopted in 1936 and a chapter emblem was created in 1939 for maroon sweaters. As the organization continued, its responsibilities and projects expanded to include campus tours, sponsorship of the College Bowl, institution of the written Honor Code, beginning of Insigth: A Journal of Student Thought, and the creation of the wagon-wheel rivalry between BYU and Utah State University. In 1953, the club undertook the project of remounting the Y-Bell. Blue Key also awarded professor of the month and year awards, and carried out numerous honor banquets and formals. The organization reached its termination in 2009, and Larry Peer served as its last faculty advisor.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 5597
Brigham Young University Chapter scrapbooks
Brigham Young University Chapter membership records
Brigham Young University Chapter award recognitions
Blue Key journal
Brigham Young University Chapter history, lists, and other material
Dates: circa 1992
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives