J. Gordon Daines and P. Bradford Westwood papers on Designing BYU
J. Gordon Daines and P. Bradford Westwood papers on Designing BYU
Dates: bulk 2005, 2003-2008
Materials included relate to the course Designing BYU that was taught from 2005-2007 and the accompanying exhibit Designing BYU Planning, Architecture, Landscape, 1875-2007 that was in the Harold B. Lee Library in 2008. The materials focus on the history and development of the Brigham Young University campus facilities. It includes the syllabi and lecture notes for the class, the reports done by students about different buildings on campus and the preparation and reception of the exhibit that was based on the course. Materials date from 2003 to 2008.
- Extent: 2 cartons (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Daines, J. Gordon (Joseph Gordon). -- Westwood, P. Bradford, 1957
- Call Number: UA 5602
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in three series: 1. J. Gordon Daines and P. Bradford Westwood papers on Designing BYU campus history, 2003-2006. 2. J. Gordon Daines and P. Bradford Westwood papers on Designing BYU course materials, 2004-2006. 3. J. Gordon Daines and P. Bradford Westwood papers on Designing BYU exhibit materials, 2006-2008.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the J. Gordon Daines and P. Bradford Westwood papers on Designing BYU must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 5602; J. Gordon Daines and P. Bradford Westwood papers on Designing BYU; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5602, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Compiled by P. Bradford Westwood and J. Gordon Daines while teaching Designing BYU and preparing it's complimentary exhibit Designing BYU: Planning, Architecture, Landscape, 1875-2007. Items compiled represent many forms from student papers, photographs and newspaper clippings, CDs and pamphlets. Items were largely arranged by P. Bradford Westwood according to content. Materials donated in April 2012 and October 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; P. Bradford Westwood and J. Gordon Daines; April 2012. Donated; J. Gordon Daines; October 2013.
- Subject Terms
- Architecture--Utah--Provo; Colleges and Universities; Education; Education, Higher--Utah--Provo; Universities and colleges--Honors courses--Utah--Provo--History
- Processing Information
- Processed; Joshua Barton; April 2012. Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; October 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- UPB_UA 5602
- Finding Aid Title
- Daines (J. Gordon) and P. Bradford Westwood papers on Designing BYU
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Joshua Barton
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-10T04:28-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
J. Gordon Daines (1972-) is an active member of the archival profession, serving as a member of several archival groups and committees and currently works for the L. Tom Perry Special Collections of the Harold B. Lee Library of Brigham Young University as University Archivist and Assistant Department Chair, Manuscripts.
J. Gordon Daines holds an undergraduate degree in history from Brigham Young University, a master's degree in history from the University of Chicago, and a certificate in archives and records management from Western Washington University. He has worked for the Oregon Historical Society and the Utah State Archives and Records Service. In 2001 he joined the library faculty at the L. Tom Perry Special Collections of the Harold B. Lee Library at Brigham Young University, working as an archivist and Assistant Department Chair and Manuscripts.
Gordon has been a member of the Society of American Archivists since 2001, he served on the Committee on Education from 2002—2005 and as a member of the steering committee for the College & University Archives section from 2005—2008. He was a member of the A*CENSUS working group from 2003—2005 and served as a member of the committee in charge of revising Guidelines for College & University Archivists for the College and University Archives section from 2004—2005. He served the Conference of Inter-Mountain Archivists as a council member from 2001—2003 and then as president 2003-2006. He also served as on-site coordinator in 2001 for the Western Archives Institute when it was held in Utah.
P. Bradford Westwood (1957-) is an archivist that has been involved with archives, special libraries, museums, and historical agencies for over twenty-five years, working at the L. Tom Perry Special Collections at Brigham Young University and for the Church History Department for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
P. 'Brad' Bradford Westwood graduated from Brigham Young University with a B.A. of American Studies in 1985 and went on to the University of Pennsylvania for a M.S. of Historic Preservation and graduated in 1994.
From 1990 to 1995, he conducted business as Westwood Research & Consulting, working with academic archives and libraries, historical agencies, and local government. He started working as an assitant at the L. Tom Perry Special Collections of the Harold B. Lee Library at Brigham Young University in 1996. He was appointed Department Chair of Special Collections in 2002. Along with Scott Duvall, Brad co-founded the A. Dean Larsen Book Collecting Conference at the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
He worked for Utah State University Special Collections, the University of Utah Special Collections, the Louis Kahn Architectural Archive (University of Pennsylvania), the Athenaeum of Philadephia (as the Pew Charitable Trusts Project Archivist) and the LDS Church Historical Department. His assignments included photo-archivist, architectural records archivist, corporate archivist and historic preservation office. His research has focused on the history of the book, and American and European social, cultural and architectural history. He currently serves as Manager of Acquisitions at Church History Department for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 5602
J. Gordon Daines and P. Bradford Westwood papers on Designing BYU campus history
J. Gordon Daines and P. Bradford Westwood papers on Designing BYU course materials
J. Gordon Daines and P. Bradford Westwood papers on Designing BYU exhibit materials
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives