• Home
  • UA 5616
  • Department of Archives and Manuscripts publicity brochures

Department of Archives and Manuscripts publicity brochures

Department of Archives and Manuscripts publicity brochures

Dates: bulk 1984-1988, 1957-1990

Collection contains brochures designed for the Harold B. Lee Library University Archives in the 1980's. Included in the collection are brochures from the colleges at Brigham Young University and universities and institutes around the United States that were assembled as reference materials. These brochures show several different styles from the 1950's to the 1980's. Included among the material are the rough drafts and revisions of the Harold B. Lee Library Univeristy Archives brochures.

  • Extent: 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Harold B. Lee Library. Dept. of Archives and Manuscripts. -- Harold B. Lee Library. University Archives.
  • Call Number: UA 5616
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
Collection has been rearranged and organized acccording to content. It appeared that the material had no order when transfered and has now been arranged to aid the researcher.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Harold B. Lee Library University Archives brochures must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 5616; Harold B. Lee Library University Archives brochures; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5616, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Transferred from Records Management in June 2012.
Acquisition Information
Transferred; Records Management; June 2012.
Subject Terms
Brochures--Utah--Provo; Colleges and Universities; Education
Genre / Form
Archives; Brochures
Processing Information
Processed; Joshua Barton; August 2012.
Appraisal Information
University records (University Archives Collecting Policy February 2010).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA5616
Finding Aid Title
Harold B. Lee Library University Archives brochures
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Joshua Barton
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-10-02T15:00-0600
Finding Aid Language
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Biographical Info:

Administative History

Deparment of Archives and Manuscripts operated from 1974-1991. It was the center of archives and special collections on Brigham Young University during this time. For some time it was located in the Heber J. Grant building, due to lack of space in the Harold B. Lee Library.

Harold B. Lee Library Deptartment of Archives and Manuscripts was the operating name of the Brigham Young University archves from 1974-1991.The Department of Archives of Manuscripts was divided into many areas of research including Photo Archives, Arts and Communication Archives, Archives of the Mormon Experience, Utah and the West Archives, Women's History Archives, Mesoamerican Archives, and Literary Archives. Primary source materials were collected, preserved, and arranged in all of these areas of focus. These materials were made available to patrons.

Patrons who wished to use the materials within the Archives and Manuscripts department were required to complete an application form, with a statement of intention and photo ID, as well as have an interview with a full time staff member. There were three levels of access to Archives and Manuscripts: Single Access in which beginner level researchers were given approval for the use of one item at a time. Single Access patrons needed separate approval for each new collection requested. Next was Limited Access where more experienced patrons could use any unrestricted collection related to their topic without additional approval, and last was Open Access where mature scholars from BYU's faculty or other institutions were given approval to use any unrestricted collection regardless as to whether it related to their topic or not. Every patron's research was recorded on that patron's permanent registration and application form.

A limited Records Management program continued to function within the Department of Archives and Manuscripts, soliciting, collection, storing, and disposing of records from various University departments. In 1978 because of a shortage of space, the Records Center was moved outside the library, into the Heber J. Grant Building. It still functioned under the direction of the University Archivist.

Administrative history

University Archives operated from 1973-1974. The focus of this archive was the collection and preservation of materials related to the history of Brigham Young University, it's presidents, professors and colleges.

Harold B. Lee Library University Archives was the operating name of the Brigham Young University archives from 1973-1974. The University Archives preserved records that documented the history of the University and its people, especially concerning their impact on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and its society. This collection included letters, memoranda, minutes, reports, journals, financial and legal documents, speeches, audio and video recordings, artists' sketches, photographs, research, class notes, syllabi and examinations. Other items that were archives were writings, musical compositions, maps, architectural sketches, theses, dissertations, and faculty and university publications.

Part of the Archives’ objective was to preserve the records of the University itself. This was accomplished mostly through a limited Records Management program that functioned under the University Archives and a Records Center. The Records Management program solicited records from all University Departments, but especially retiring deans, department chairmen administrators, and then determined whether to keep or dispose of them. The Records Center was used to retrieve records and then store them as determined by Records Management in the University Archives.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Series in UA 5616

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu