David Kent Jacobs collection on Mormon films
David Kent Jacobs collection on Mormon films
Contains materials related to Jacobs' work for the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio. The Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio produced many of the early motion pictures for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Many original cuts of films like The First Vision and Uncle Ben are on 16 mm film reels are included. Other film projects including the Performing Arts tour Curtain Time, U.S.A. and their original cuts are also included. DVD copies of some of the film reels have also been included. Scripts and film schedules for shooting are included as well as several reference books on different projects that Jacobs was involved in. Dated 1955-1988.
- Extent: 2 cartons (2 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 59 film reels (7 linear ft.)
- Creator: Jacobs, David Kent, 1937
- Call Number: UA 5625
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged into three series: 1. David Kent Jacobs film collection reference materials, 1964-1983. 2. David Kent Jacobs collection of films, 1955-1988. 3. David Kent Jacobs DVD copies of collection of films, 1960-1982.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearences. Permission to publish material from David Kent Jacobs collection on Mormon films must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collection Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 5625; David Kent Jacobs collection on Mormon films; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collection, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citation: UA 5625, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by David Kent Jacobs in 2012.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; David Kent Jacobs; December 6, 2012.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Colleges and Universities; Education; Motion picture producers and directors--Utah; Motion pictures--Production and direction--Utah
- Genre / Form
- Motion picture film; Motion picture plays; Schedules
- Motion picture producers
- Processing Information
- Processed; Joshua Barton; December 2012. Processed; Joseph Wiest; February 2013. Processed; Joshua Barton; May 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Jacobs (David Kent) collection on Mormon films
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Joshua Barton
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-05-11T04:27-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
David Kent Jacobs (1937- ) is a film director, producer, and screenwriter in Utah.
David Kent Jacobs graduated from Weber College with an Associate of Science and completed his Bachelor of Science at Brigham Young University 1961. He was part of the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department and was involved in multiple productions for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Jacobs wrote his Master's thesis on "The History of Motion Pictures Produced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" in 1967 to complete his Master's of Arts at Brigham Young University. Afterwards, he achieved his Doctorate of Philosophy at the University of Utah.
Jacobs worked for the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department for seventeen years and at Nu Skin Enterprises for seventeen years; at both entities he worked as a director and producer for film projects. During his time at the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department he worked on films for both the University and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Projects he was involved with include The First Vision, The Mailbox, Uncle Ben, and Curtain Time USA. He was also involved with projects like the satellite broadcast for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' general conference and commercials for Brigham Young University.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 5625
David Kent Jacobs film collection reference materials
David Kent Jacobs collection of films
David Kent Jacobs DVD copies of collection of films
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives