Department of Recreation records
Department of Recreation records
The entire collection relates to the annual Timpanogos hike which the Recreation Department has cosponsored with the Provo Chamber of Commerce, U.S. Forest Service, and also other agencies since 1922. The papers span years 1912-1977. Included are minutes, correspondence, reports, newspaper clippings, and various mementoes. Files for 1913-1931, 1923, and 1925-1929 were lost or destroyed.
- Extent: 5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Recreation Management and Youth Leadership
- Call Number: UA 563
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection is divided into two series: 1. Dept. of Recreation: Timpanogos hike files and 2. Dept. of Recreation: miscellaneous Timpanogos hike mementoes.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Recreation records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: UA 563; Department of Recreation records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: UA 563, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The records were collected or generated by Israel C. Heaton, chairman of the Recreation Department, who was asked to serve as chairman of the Timp Hike by President Ernest L. Wilkinson
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Israel C. Heaton.
- Separated Material
- All photographs related to the Timp Hike were transferred to UA Photo Archives Single Print File, Lantern slides of a Timpanogos hike (MSS P 676)
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA563.xml
- Related Material
- See also Laboratory School records (UA 564) and for other Recreation Department Records (UA 544).
- Subject Terms
- Brigham Young High School (Provo, Utah); Brigham Young University. Department of Physical Education; Brigham Young University. Department of Recreation Management and Youth Leadership; Brigham Young University. Laboratory School; Provo Chamber of Commerce (Provo, Utah); United States. Forest Service. Intermountain Region; Colleges and Universities; Timpanogos Hike
- Genre / Form
- Corporate minutes; Files (Records); Letters; Reports
- Processing Information
- Processed; Terrel Dene Hale; 2004.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Department of Recreation records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Terrel Dene Hale
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-16T04:30-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
In 1921, the Department of Social and Recreational Leadership, under the direction of Eugene L. Roberts, marked the beginning of recreation leadership courses at BYU. In September of 1954, the Recreation Department was officially established. Israel C. Heaton became the chairman of the department in 1956 and in 1964, the name of the department was changed to recreation Education.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 563
Department of Recreation files on annual Timpanogos hike
Department of Recreation mementos of Timpanogos hike
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives