Department of Biology records
Department of Biology records
Contains records of various examinations, lecture notes, scholarships, evaluations, student writings, department histories for the Zoology and Botany Departments, photographs of department chairs, students, and activities and other class-related material. Dates range from 1892 to 2009.
- Extent: 5 cartons (5 linear ft.). -- 7 folders (0.7 linear ft.). -- 5 oversize folders (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Biology. -- Brigham Young University. Department of Integrative Biology
- Call Number: UA 5633
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years after the creation of the records (2038) and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in twelve series: 1. Records on field biology, 2004-2006. 2. Records on aquatic ecology, 2004. 3. Records on entomology, 2004-2007. 4. Records on biodiversity, 2004-2007. 5. Records on Biology 100 Honors, 2005-2007. 6. Records on aquatic entomology, 2006. 7. Records on Integrated Biology 494R, 2007. 8. Records on summer scholars, 2007. 9. Records on integrated natural history, 2008. 10. Records on mentored students, 2004-2008. 11. Records on Zoology and Botany Department histories, 1892-2009. and 12. Photographs, 1892-2009.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Biology records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 5633; Department of Biology records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5633, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from the Department of Biology in March 2013. Transferred from the Department of Biology in January 2015.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Department of Biology; March 2013. Transferred; Department of Biology; January 2015.
- Subject Terms
- Colleges and Universities; Education; Biology--Study and teaching--Utah--Provo; Brigham Young University. Department of Biology; Brigham Young University. Department of Integrative Biology; Brigham Young University. Department of Biology--Curricula; Brigham Young University. Department of Biology--Archives
- Genre / Form
- College students' writings; Lecture notes; Examinations
- Processing Information
- Processed; Monica Benavides; March 2013. Addendum added; Erin Owens; February 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- UPB_UA 5633
- Finding Aid Title
- Department of Biology records
- Finding Aid Author
- Monica Benavides
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-09-14 13:40:12 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Department of Biology (2007- ) is part of the College of Life Sciences.
The Department of Biology was established in 2007 when the Department of Integrative Biology was renamed, corresponding with the renaming of the College of Biology and Agriculture to the College of Life Sciences.
The Department of Biology is overseen by a chair reporting to the Dean of the College of Life Sciences. Department chairs have included Keith A. Crandall (2007-2012) and Dennis K. Shiozawa (2012- ). The department trains students in biological science with a broad perspective in mind, focusing on organismal processes which include taxonomy, ecology, and evolution. The department offers the following majors: bioinformatics, biological science education, biology, and conservation biology.
The Department of Integrative Biology (2003-2007) was established under the College of Biology and Agriculture.
The Department of Integrative Biology was founded in 2003 as a part of the College of Biology and Agriculture. This department was administered by a department chair, under direction of the college dean. Larry St. Clair served as department chairman from 2003 to 2007. It included undergraduate degree programs for bioinformatics, biology composite teaching, integrative biology, plant biology, and wildlife and wildlands conservation. The department was disbanded and renamed to the Department of Biology under the College of Life Sciences in 2007.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 5633
Department of Biology records on field biology
Department of Biology records on aquatic ecology
Department of Biology records on entomology
Department of Biology records on biodiversity
Department of Biology records on Biology 100 Honors
Department of Biology records on aquatic entomology
Department of Biology records on Integrated Biology 494R
Department of Biology records on summer scholars
Department of Biology records on integrated natural history
Department of Biology records on mentored students
Department of Biology records on Zoology Department and Botany Department
Department of Biology photographs
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives