Laboratory School records

Laboratory School records

Dates: approximately 1896-1969

Includes correspondence, policy statements, brochures, attendance records, building plans, enrollment statistics, Immigration and Naturalization Services information, examinations, surveys, financial records, histories, and miscellaneous materials. Also includes information concerning BY High School and the Elementary Training School. Dates range from 1896-1969.

  • Extent: 7 oversize boxes (7 linear ft.). -- 13 boxes (6.5 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Brigham Young Academy. -- Brigham Young University. Laboratory School
  • Call Number: UA 564
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
Arranged into 25 series: 1. Laboratory School general subject files, 1957-1968. 2. Laboratory School counseling and guidance files, 1945-1968. 3. Laboratory School elementary school files, 1901-1968. 4. Laboratory School secondary school files, 1955-1956. 5. Laboratory School associations and organizations files, 1953-1968. 6. Laboratory School graduation and commencement files, 1914-1968. 7. Laboratory School publications, 1930-1968. 8. Laboratory School student government files, 1939-1968. 9. Laboratory School student council files, 1939-1968. 10. Laboratory School printed materials, 1963-1968. 11. Laboratory School curriculum development materials, 1963-1964. 12. Laboratory School education experimental programs and laboratory reports, 1963-1968. 13. Laboratory School miscellaneous materials, approximately 1896-1969. 14. Laboratory School scrapbooks, 1935-1964. 15. Laboratory School certificates, 1941-1968. 16. Laboratory School high school banners, approximately 1896-1969. 17. Laboratory School annuals, 1933-1968. 18. Laboratory School newspapers, 1940-1968. 19. Laboratory School sampling of student art, approximately 1896-1969. 20. Laboratory School training school photographs, approximately 1896-1969. 21. Laboratory School Brigham Young High scrapbooks, 1934-1964. 22. Laboratory School parent-teacher association records, 1940-1968. 23. Laboratory School report for Dr. Antone K. Romney, 1969. 24. Laboratory School teaching guides, 1950-1969. 25. Laboratory School education experimental programs literature, 1963-1966.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Laboratory School records must be obtained from the Permissions & Licensing Office of the University and the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Note
Boxes 12 and 13 are not recorded and may be missing. Oversize box 8 location is mislabeled and it's also missing.
Preferred Citation
Initial Citation: UA 564; Laboratory School records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: UA 564, LTPSC.
Acquisition Information
Transferred; Laboratory School; March 2011.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA564.xml
Subject Terms
Allred, Wallace E., 1932-; Brigham Young High School (Provo, Utah); Brigham Young University. Elementary Laboratory School; Brigham Young University. Secondary Laboratory School; Hart, Anna Boss, 1902-1980; Read, Edwin A.; Romney, Antone K. (Antone Kimball), 1902-1982; Thompson, Lowell D.; Colleges and Universities; Commencement ceremonies--Utah--Salt Lake City; Education; Elementary and Secondary Education
Genre / Form
Art; Certificates; College student newspapers and periodicals; Curriculum; Photographs; Scrapbooks
Processing Information
Processed; Hollis Scott, James Cloward and Brian Shull; 2002. Revised; Monica Benavides; February 2013.
Appraisal Information
Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA564
Finding Aid Title
Laboratory School records
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Hollis Scott, James Cloward, and Brian Shull
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:51-0600
Finding Aid Language
English
Sponsor
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The Laboratory School (1955-1968) was established as a service unit in the College of Education to prepare students in the college to teach as well as improve educational programs.

The Laboratory School was established under the College of Education and existed within the college until its operation was discontinued in 1968. During its years of operation, the directors/coordinators of the Laboratory School were as follows: Percy E. Burrup, Asahel D. Woodruff, Avard A. Rigby, Edwin A. Read, and Lowell D. Thomson.

The Laboratory School was the administering body for the Elementary Laboratory School and the Secondary Laboratory School which consisted of a junior high school and Brigham Young High School. The dean of the College of Education was the chief administrator followed by the director or coordinator of the Laboratory School.

The Laboratory School created an environment for high-level instruction for observations and experiments in the Elementary and Secondary Laboratory Schools while performing research in child development, learning, social processes, and educational programs in a university setting. Athletic and social programs were also provided for students attending the Secondary Laboratory School to allow them to progress in character.

Administrative History

The College of Education (1921-1997) oversaw various programs for future educators at Brigham Young University.

The College of Education, previously known as the School of Education, was created in 1921 from by the newly appointed President Harris. The organization was created to qualify students to be supervisors, elementary teachers, high school instructors, or high school principals under the Church and State school systems. The four main purposes were outlined as: (1) Preparing teachers for public and private schools. (2) Providing graduate programs for the preparation of school principals, counselors, school psychologists, curriculum supervisors, speech/language pathologists, clinical audiologists, and master teachers. (3) Offering research-based graduate programs. (4) Researching educational processes and issues. Deans and acting deans of the College included John C. Swenson (1921-1924), L. John Nuttall (1924-1930), Amos N. Merrell (1930-1946), Asahel D. Woodruff (1955-1961), A. John Clarke (1961-1962), Antone K. Romney (1962-1970), Stephen L. Alley (1970-1974), Curtis N. Van Alfen (1974-1985), Ralph B. Smith (1985-1989), Dan W. Andersen (1989-1993), and Robert S. Patterson (1993-1997).

Administrative History

Brigham Young University (est. 1903) is a university sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Provo, Utah.

Brigham Young University was established in 1903 in a renaming of Brigham Young Academy. Past and present Brigham Young University presidents include George H. Brimhall (1903-1921), Franklin S. Harris (1921-1945), Howard S. McDonald (1945-1949), (acting president) Christian Jensen (1949-1951), Ernest L. Wilkinson (1951-1971), Dallin H. Oaks (1971-1980), Jeffrey R. Holland (1980-1989), Rex E. Lee (1989-1995), Merrill J. Bateman (1996-2003), and Cecil O. Samuelson (2003- ).

Brigham Young University is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of the Church Educational System (CES). The university is governed by a Board of Trustees, which, since 1939, has consisted of the First Presidency of the Church as well as other General Authorities or general officers of the Church appointed by the First Presidency. The Board of Trustees provides general direction and oversees the formulation of broad policies as well as the approval of all executive leadership and faculty appointments at the university. The Board of Trustees delegates to the University President the responsibility to conduct the operations of the institution and administer the policies enacted by the board. The President serves as the chief executive officer and general manager of the University. Since 1996, the President of the university has also been a General Authority of the Church.

Brigham Young University has grown from a small academy to one of the world's largest private universities. Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU offers a unique educational environment that promotes learning by study and also by faith.

Administrative History

Brigham Young Academy (1875-1903) was established by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints under the direction of Brigham Young for the instruction of church members in the area of Provo Utah.

Brigham Young Academy was the predecessor to Brigham Young University and Brigham Young High School. Brigham Young saw the school as a place where all secular learning should be fused with teachings from the scriptures. Despite steady growth during its early years, the Academy was threatened by a series of financial and physical setbacks. With the help and sacrifice of Abraham O. Smoot, the campus moved in 1891 to new facilities on University Avenue in Provo Utah. The Academy's curriculum strengthened and enrollment grew. In 1903, the name was officially changed to Brigham Young University.

Brigham Young Academy principals included Warren N. Dusenberry (1876), Karl G. Maeser (1876-1892), and Benjamin Cluff (1892-1903).



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Series in UA 564

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu