• Home
  • UA 5642
  • Department of Physics and Astronomy planetarium records

Department of Physics and Astronomy planetarium records

Department of Physics and Astronomy planetarium records

Dates: 1967-1999

Contains various materials concerning the Brigham Young University planetarium. Includes information about shows, programs, and various astronomy subjects. Also contains materials from other planetariums. Dates range from 1967 to 1999.

  • Extent: 2 cartons (2 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Physics
  • Call Number: UA 5642
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2024) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
The original order of the collection has been retained; materials are arranged by type.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Department of Physics and Astronomy planetarium records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 5642; Department of Physics and Astronomy planetarium records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citation: UA 5642, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Transferred from the Department of Physics and Astronomy planetarium in May 2013.
Acquisition Information
Transferred; Dept. of Physics and Astronomy planetarium; May 2013.
Subject Terms
Astronomy--Study and teaching--Utah--Provo; Colleges and Universities; Education; Planetariums--Utah--Provo
Genre / Form
Financial records; Lectures; Pamphlets
Processing Information
Processed; Joseph Wiest; June 2013.
Appraisal Information
Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA5642
Finding Aid Title
Department of Physics and Astronomy planetarium records
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Joseph Wiest
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-08-05T10:47-0600
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The Department of Physics and Astronomy (est. 1972) provides curriculum in physics and astronomy to prepare students for careers in those fields.

The Department of Physics and Astronomy, previously called the Department of Physics, was created in 1972 and placed in the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences. In 1973 the department was moved to the newly formed College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. The curriculum of the Department of Physics and Astronomy is designed to provide 1) training for students who intend to pursue graduate work in physics or astronomy; 2) preparation for students who intend to enter industrial or governmental service as physicists or astronomers; 3) a fundamental background for other physical sciences and engineering; 4) the broadening program required by the biological science, premedical, predental, and nursing programs; 5) training in the subject matter of physics for prospective teachers of the physical sciences; and 6) a perspective of science and an introduction to the role of physics in the human quest for understanding.

The Department Chairmen have included John H. Gardner (1972-1973), B. Kent Harrison (1973-1980), Howard B. Vanfleet (1980-1989), Daniel L. Decker (1989-1995), Dorian M. Hatch (1995-2001), R. Steven Turley (2001-2004), Scott D. Sommerfeldt (2004-2008), and Ross Spencer (2008- ).

Administrative History

The Department of Physics (1921-1972) was responsible for various courses in physics at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.

The Department of Physics was established and placed in the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921 when the School of Arts and Sciences was abolished. In 1954 it was transferred to the newly formed College of Physical and Engineering Sciences. In 1972 the department was renamed the Department of Physics and Astronomy.

The Department of Physics was administered by a department chair, under the direction of the college dean. Department chairs of the Department of Physics included Carl F. Eyring (1921-1928, 1930-1937, 1939-1951), Milton Marshall (1929, 1938, 1951-1954), Wayne W. Hales (1955-1958), John H. Gardner (1961-1963, 1966-1972), Dwight R. Dixon (1964-1965).

The Department of Physics was responsible for teaching courses in: Elementary Physics, Household Physics, Mechanics and Sound, Electricity, Heat and Light, Molecular Physics and Heat, Electricity and Magnetism, Radio Instruments and Measurements, Optics and Astrophysics, Wave Motion, and History of Physics. By 1954 the department also taught courses in: Astronomy, Weather and Climate, Photography, Thermodynamics, Kinetic Theory, Mechanics, Physics of Air, Meteorology, Acoustics, and Nuclear Physics.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu