Alumni Relations records
Alumni Relations records
Contains records regarding various groups and programs connected with the Alumni Association. Also included are files concerning various reunions put on by the Alumni Relations Department. Dates range from 1988 to 2009.
- Extent: 15 cartons (15 linear ft.). -- 9 boxes (4.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brigham Young University. Alumni Relations
- Call Number: UA 5651
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Alumni Relations records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in two series: 1. Office files. 2. Records on reunions.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: UA 5651; Alumni Relations records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citation: UA 5651, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Records Management in installments between 2006 and 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Records Management; Feb. 2006. Transferred; Records Management; May 2013.
- Related Material
- See also University Relations Division records (UA 1252). This other collection originally contained materials from Alumni Relations but was divided, and as a result this collection was created.
- Subject Terms
- Brigham Young University. Alumni Relations--Archives; Class reunions--Utah--Provo; Colleges and Universities; Education; Universities and colleges--Alumni and alumnae--Utah--Provo
- Genre / Form
- Corporate minutes; Histories
- Processing Information
- Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; February 2006. Processed; Joseph Wiest; June 2013. Processed; Joseph Wiest; October 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Alumni Relations records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Joseph Wiest
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-10T04:29-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Alumni Relations (est. 1956) is an administrative unit at Brigham Young University associated with the operation of the Alumni Association.
The department of Alumni Relations performs the daily work necessary to connect alumni by executing the plans and suggestions of the University and the Alumni Association. Such work includes keeping accurate alumni records (the department's most important task), connecting alumni through various forms of media (including a magazine, an electronic newsletter, and modern media such as Facebook), and offering free career counseling and networking to alumni.
The Department of Alumni Relations was nebulously established in 1956, when Brigham Young University agreed to provide the operating budget of the Alumni Association, including salaries for its newly developed full-time staff. Since that time, Alumni Relations has become an official department of the University. Until September 2009 the Alumni Association partially governed Alumni Relations, but since then the Alumni Association has acted only in an advisory capacity.
Alumni Relations is headed by a managing director, who is also the executive director of the Alumni Association. The director reports to the Associate Vice-President of Alumni and External Relations. The following individuals have served as directors: Raymond E. Beckham (1956-1965), Ronald G. Hyde (1966-1979), Stephen L. Barrett (1979-1993), George H. Bowie (1993-1999), John Lewis (1999-2000), Michael Busenbark (2000-2006), and Linda Palmer (2006- ).
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 5651
Alumni Relations office files
Alumni Relations records on reunions
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives