• Home
  • UA 5657
  • McCune School of Music and Art student records

McCune School of Music and Art student records

McCune School of Music and Art student records

Dates: 1920-1952

Contains student records (transcripts and registration documents) generated by the McCune School of Music and Art. Materials date from 1920 to 1952.

  • Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
  • Creator: L.D.S. School of Music. -- McCune School of Music and Art
  • Call Number: UA 5657
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Privacy restricted; student and faculty records are closed to general research for 75 years (2027). Exceptions may be granted for the completion of statistical studies. Such exceptions require the approval of the current chair or presiding officer of the office that generated the records for use of all records less than 75 years old. Records over 75 years old may be used for research after consultation with the University Archivist.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
Materials are arranged alphabetically.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the McCune School of Music and Art student records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 5657; McCune School of Music and Art student records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5657, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Materials were created by the McCune School of Music and Art and transferred to the Brigham Young University Registrar's Office sometime after 1952 when the McCune School of Music and Art was merged with the university's Department of Music. The Registrar's Office transferred the materials to the University Archives in October 2013.
Acquisition Information
Transferred; Registrar's Office; October 2013.
Related Material
See also the McCune School of Music and Art minutes (MSS 1870) and the McCune School of Music and Art records (MSS 249).
Subject Terms
McCune School of Music and Art--Students; Colleges and Universities; Education; Music--Instruction and study--Utah
Genre / Form
Transcripts
Processing Information
Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; December 2013.
Appraisal Information
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA5657
Finding Aid Title
McCune School of Music and Art student records
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by J. Gordon Daines III
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-01-12T04:28-0700
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The L.D.S. School of Music (1920-1924) was a private music school in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The L.D.S. School of Music was initially established as the Music Department of the Latter-day Saints University under B. Cecil Gates. In 1920 the president of the university, Guy C. Wilson, reorganized the department as a private music school. First located in the Gardo House, it was moved to the McCune Mansion in April 1921. The school also operated offices in the Historian's Office building and the Assembly Hall. The faculty provided junior college course instruction in piano, voice, violin, cello, drums, woodwinds, brass, music theory, drama, and dance. In 1924 the school was renamed the McCune School of Music and Art.

Administrative History

The McCune School of Music and Art (1924-1957) was a private school for music and art in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The McCune School of Music and Art was previously known as the L.D.S. School of Music, which was renamed in 1924. The school was located in the McCune Mansion in Salt Lake City, Utah, and initially offered junior college-level courses in music and dance. The school was accredited by the the National Association of Schools of Music in 1928, and an art program was started in 1939. However, in 1942 the administration began to reposition the school as a preparatory school of junior high and high school students. In 1952 the school became a branch of Brigham Young University. Due to problems with accreditation, it was disassociated with the university in 1956 and closed by the Church Board of Education in 1957.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu