Collection of McRay Magleby posters
Collection of McRay Magleby posters
Contains posters created by McRay Magleby about events and deadlines for events at Brigham Young University, and elsewhere in the area. There are also posters pertaining to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Dates range from 1979 to 1995.
- Extent: 3 oversize boxes (9 linear ft.)
- Creator: Magleby, McRay
- Call Number: UA 5669
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in three series: 1. Collection of McRay Magleby posters on BYU events, 1980-1993. 2. Collection of McRay Magleby posters on non-BYU events, 1989. 3. Collection of McRay Magleby posters on the BYU campus and deadlines, 1979-1995.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Collection of McRay Magleby posters must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 5669; Collection of McRay Magleby posters; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citation: UA 5669, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred by Publications and Graphics in 2012.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Publications and Graphics; 2012.
- Subject Terms
- Clubs and Societies; College campuses--Utah--Provo; Colleges and Universities; Education; Social Life and Customs; Sports and Recreation; Student Life
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Sarah Markle; May 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- University records (University Archives Collectings Policy February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Collection of McRay Magleby posters
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sarah Markle
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-05-25T04:34-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
McRay Magleby (1942- ) was a graphic arts professor for the University of Utah from 1897 until 2008.
McRay Magleby, Jr. graduated from Brigham Young University in 1969 with a BA in Art. He then served as creative designer of BYU Publications & Graphics (now called BYU Graphics) until 1996. In 1987 BYU awarded him with the Honorary Alumni Award.
Along with teaching at both the University of Utah and BYU, Magleby was commissioned for several historic events. He created the first Cultural Olympiad poster for the 2002 Olympics and he also designed a carving for the Governor's Mansion for the 100th anniversary of Utah. He also designed the Wave of Peace poster, commemorating the 40th anniversary of the bombing on Hiroshima.
In 2008 McRay (Mac) retired from his professorship at the U of U. Since 1987 Magleby has been teaching students how to be creative. He told them, "Being creative is risky; however, where the risks are great, the rewards are greater."
In April and May 2012 Magleby's art was featured in the Covey Center for the Arts exhibit Seasons in the Rockies: Landscapes by McRay Magleby.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 5669
Collection of McRay Magleby posters on university events
Collection of McRay Magleby art posters
Collection of McRay Magleby posters on the campus and deadlines
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives