Learning Commons Department records
Learning Commons Department records
Contains university communications, cassettes, newspaper clippings, and digital documentation concerning instructing university professors and library staff on digital means of conducting research. Includes welcome material for the library, communications on which collections in the library to digitize, and how professors should modify their curriculums to teach their students on how to use digital resources from the library.
- Extent: 1 carton (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Harold B. Lee Library. Learning Commons Department. -- Harold B. Lee Library. General Information Services Department
- Call Number: UA 5745
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 25 years (until 2036) after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Learning Commons Department records collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 5745; Learning Commons Department records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 5745, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Transferred from Learning Commons Department in 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; Learning Commons Department; January 2013.
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; Library education; Library materials--Digitization--Utah--Provo; Harold B. Lee Library. Learning Commons Department; Harold B. Lee Library. General Information Services Department
- Genre / Form
- Audiocassettes; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Processing Information
- Processed; Eric Wolford, student manuscript processor; Cory Nimer, curator; 2016
- Appraisal Information
- Administration (University Archives Collection Development Policy, August 2015)
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Learning Commons Department records
- Finding Aid Author
- Eric Wolford
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-05-11 13:09:01 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Learning Commons Department (est. 2009) is an administrative unit in the Harold B. Lee Library at Brigham Young University. It was created from the merger of the General Information Services Department and the Periodicals Department to supply a means for access to scholarly digital resources and a growing number of electronic databases for patrons of the Library.
The Learning Commons Department of the Harold B. Lee Library at Brigham Young University was established in 2009 from the merger of the General Information Services Department and the Periodicals Department. After the Information Commons Project team had a two month investigation from February-April 2003 to determine how online access to library materials at BYU compared to other universities including the University of Arizona, Emory Univeristy, and the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. After this analysis, the newly-created divison of the General Information Services department focused on seven aspects to improve upon: 1) Reference and student workstations; 2) Collaborative learning rooms and areas; 3) Electronic classrooms; 4) Multimedia workstations; 5) Consultation stations; 6) Writing lab; and 7) Lounge area. By implementing such programs, this department ensured that the Heber B. Lee Library is state-of-the-art and effective for all students.
The General Information Services Department (2002-2009) was an administrative unit created from the merger of the General Reference Department and the Department of Library Instruction and Literacy to provide services to students in the Heber B. Lee Library to enhance their time there including multimedia sources, Library Instruction, and Distributed Learning. Closed with it's merger with the Periodicals department to create the Learning Commons Department.
The General Information Services department was an administrative unit created from the merger of the General Reference Department and the Department of Library Instruction and Literacy in 2002 to provide services to students in the Heber B. Lee Library including Multimedia sources, Library Instruction, Distributed Learning, and the creation of the Information Commons. With these services, the department created 78 cooperative workstations, helped assist professors in First Year/Advanced Writing classes, provided online services including the "Ask A Librarian" link on BYU's website, and worked alongside other departments at BYU to utilize Blackboard in providing library services. In 2009, the department merged with the Periodicals department to create the Library's Learning Commons department.
comments powered by Disqus