Mark K. Allen papers
Mark K. Allen papers
In general, the collection as generated by Dr. Mark Allen consisted of six boxes of material including minutes, correspondence, memoranda, class instructional material, resource material used in compiling the department's history, news clippings, reports, and notes. Most of the material was generated by Dr. Allen before and after he served as chairman of the Department of Psychology at Brigham Young University.
- Extent: 5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Allen, Mark K. (Mark Knight), 1905
- Call Number: UA 585
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open to public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- This collection is arranged in three series: 1) Mark K. Allen subject files (aphabetical by topic), 1929-1975; 2) Mark K. Allen resource material (alphabetical by topic), 1891-1975; and 3) Mark K. Allen class instructional material (alphabetical by topic), 1941-1974.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Mark K. Allen papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: UA 585; Mark K. Allen papers; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: UA 585, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Papers in this collection originated from the files of Dr. Mark. Allen, which were received from him in September 1976.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Dr. Mark Allen; September 1976.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA585.xml
- Subject Terms
- Utah State Training School; Colleges and Universities; Education; Psychology
- Genre / Form
- Corporate minutes; Letters; Reports
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kim Christensen; 1976.
- Appraisal Information
- University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Allen (Mark K.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kim Christensen
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-08-19T11:02-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Mark K. Allen was Chairman of the Department of Psychology, 1955-1961.
Mark Allen was instrumental in establishing the Utah County Mental Health Association, and the Child Guidance Clinic in Utah County.
A native of Provo, Utah, Professor Allen was born October 22, 1905. He attended BY Training School and graduated from BYU in 1926. He completed his master's degree at Stanford in 1935 and his Ph. D. in 1955.
In 1955 he was promoted to full professor and was chairman of the department from 1955 to 1961during which time approval of a Ph. D. degree was granted by the Board of Trustees.
He was employed as a psychologist at the Utah State Training School in American Fork from 1932 to 1934 and was assistant superintendent from 1935 to 1946. Dr. Allen still served as a clinical consultant there.
During 1957-1958, he took a leave to serve as a Fulbright professor of psychology at the University of Ankara,Turkey. Shortly after that he was one of the founding members of the Utah Psychological Association and later became its president.
A well-known author in the field, Dr. Allen wrote an extensive series of lessons and articles for the Relief Society Magazine from 1935 to 1942 in areas of social service, child development, and social psychology.
He helped to establish the Utah County Mental Health Association and the Child Guidance Clinic in Utah County which has now become the Timpanogos Mental Health Clinic. -- Extracted from Provo Daily Herald article, "BYU Reception to Honor Professor of Psychology," May 24, 1971.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 585
Mark K. Allen subject files
Mark K. Allen resource material
Mark K. Allen class instructional material
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives