• Home
  • UA 623
  • Institute of American Services and Research collection

Institute of American Services and Research collection

Institute of American Services and Research collection

Dates: 1956-1978

The Institute of American Services and Research Collection contains office information, financial files, correspondence, missionary files, project files, personal files, and other miscellaneous materials associated with the Collection.

  • Extent: 24 boxes (12 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Brigham Young University. Institute of American Indian Studies
  • Call Number: UA 623
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
Languages and Scripts
English
Arrangement
The collection is divided into nine series: 1. Institute of American Services and Research office information, 1968-1976; 2. Institute of American Services and Research financial files, 1968-1978; 3. Institute of American Services and Research correspondence files, 1966-1977; 4. Institute of American Services and Research missionary files, 1961-1974; 5. Institute of American Services and Research miscellaneous office files, 1971-1974; 6. Institute of American Services and Research: Paul Felt files and projects, 1965-1972; 7. Institute of American Services and Research curriculum, education, and projects files, undated; 8. Institute of American Services and Research newspaper articles re: American Indians, 1962-1968; and 9. Institute of American Services and Research Larson files, 1956-1972.
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Institute of American Services and Research collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial Citation: UA 623; Institute of American Services and Research collection; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: UA 623, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Materials were transfererd from the private collection of the donor.
Acquisition Information
Donated; Institute of American Services.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA623.xml
Related Material
There are two other Institute Collections in the Department of Archives and Manuscripts. Dale Tingey Files U.A. 081 Director's Files U.A. 081
Subject Terms
Brigham Young University. Institute of American Indian Services and Research; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Indian Student Placement Program; Felt, Paul E., 1916-1999; Larsen, Floyd; Tingey, Dale Thomas; Tyler, S. Lyman (Samuel Lyman), 1920-; Church work with Indians--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Colleges and Universities; Education; Indians of North America; Indians of North America--Education
Genre / Form
Documents
Processing Information
Processed; David Whittaker and Jane Carpenter; 1986.
Appraisal Information
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA623
Finding Aid Title
Institute of American Services and Research collection
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by David Whittaker and Jane Carpenter
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:52-0600
Finding Aid Language
English
Sponsor
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
Biographical Info:

Biographical History

Established in 1960, the institute of American Indian Studies and Research services various agencies of the LDS Church with programs that relate to the Indians of America; to assist BYU and other units within the Unified Church School system to develop programs for the enlargement and improvement of the educational opportunities for Indians; to cooperate with governmental agencies in their attempts to improve Indian adjustment to a more satisfactory participation within the predominant society; and to work with Indian tribes or groups as they attempt to solve their own problems.

The institute was approved in 1958 but did not officially begin operations until the 1960-1961 school year. Elder Spencer W. Kimball served as honorary chairman of the institute, while remaining staff included Lyman S. Tyler, director; John T. Bernhard; Ward Despain; Bob Guiellian -- secretary; and BYU President Ernest L. Wilkinson ex-official member.

With the organization of the institute, the BYU Indian education effort served two purposes: to provide a college education for Lamanite students, to study Indian needs and social problems and to initiate programs designed to fill those needs and solve those problems.

In 1964, Paul E. Felt, assistant professor of religion, became the director of the office of Indian Affairs for BYU. In 1965 the official title became the Institute of American Indian Research and Services. The Institute focused on making the resources of BYU and the church available to Indians off campus. Claude Duerden became the Indian student advisor. In 1966, under Dr. Royce Flandro, the Department of Indian Education in the General College became responsible for Indian students on campus.

Coordination and planning of Indian education became the major responsibility of the office. It also continued to assist the administration of the Indian Studies minor program and with the Indian teacher education program of the College of Education.

Dr. Flandro took a sabbatical leave in 1968. Rondo Harmon, who had worked with Flandro as an advisor, became acting chairman of the department, a position he held until Dr. Flandro returned in 1970. Concern for the Lamanite students after graduation led to the establishment of an Indian Alumni Association in 1971. Dr. Arturo DeHoyos assumed responsibility for advising Indian graduate students.

In 1972, Dr. Dale Tingey became director of the Institute with Floyd Larson as his assistant. The Institute was transferred administratively from the General College to the Division of Continuing Education.

Presently, Dr. Dale Tingey is the director of the Institute. William Kelly is his assistant director handling the office affairs and Howard T. Rainer, also assistant director, handles the funding.

The program operates as an extended arm of the University to set up and support Indian programs throughout the country. they deal exclusively with off-campus programs and work closely with the Development Office to obtain grants and funds.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Series in UA 623

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu