Assistant Academic Vice-President records
Assistant Academic Vice-President records
Collection consists of administrative records, the Commissioner’s Lecture Series, and correspondence from the tenure of Assistant Academic Vice-President L. Robert Webb. The collection also includes the Forum Addresses Series, 1969-1979.
- Extent: 22 boxes (11 linear ft.)
- Creator: Webb, L. Robert (Lynn Robert), 1938
- Call Number: UA 686
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Closed for 50 years following the end of the President's administration
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in 2 series: 1. L. Robert Webb administrative records, 1969-1979; and 2. L. Robert Webb University Forum addresses files, 1969-1979
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the L. Robert Webb Assistant Academic Vice-Presidential records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: UA 686; Assistant Academic Vice-President records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: UA 686, LTPSC.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA686.xml
- Subject Terms
- Webb, L. Robert (Lynn Robert), 1938-; Colleges and Universities; Education; Religious gatherings--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Genre / Form
- Files (Records); Lecture notes; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; 2002.
- Appraisal Information
- Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Assistant Academic Vice-President records
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-14T16:27-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
The office of Academic Vice President at Brigham Young University was established around 1966. The position is responsible for administering university faculty, undergraduate studies, and research and graduate studies.
The position of Academic Vice president was established around 1966, though these functions had been established earlier. When Earl C. Crockett was appointed vice president in charge of finance and business administration in 1957, he was also given responsibility for the academic program at the university (except religion). Aside from his service as acting university president in 1964, Crockett operated in this position until his retirement in 1968. The office of Academic Vice President is responsible for undergraduate and graduate studies and research at the university, and has previously also included responsibilities for international studies, academic support, and computing. Between 1981 and 1989 the position was known as Provost and Academic Vice President, but in 1989 the position was split to allow the appointment of an independent provost. Academic Vice Presidents have included Crockett (1966-1968), Robert K. Thomas (1968-1980), Jae R. Ballif (1980-1989), Stan L. Albrecht (1989-1992), Todd A. Britsch (1992-1996), Alan L. Wilkins (1996-2004), John S. Tanner (2004-2011), and Brent W. Webb (2011- ).
L. Robert Webb began his career at Brigham Young University as Director of School Relations, 1966-1969. He was also Director of Student Financial Aid, 1968-1972. In 1972, Dr. Webb was appointed as Assistant Academic Vice-President. In this capacity he managed forums, chaired the Academic Standards Committee, prepared accreditation reports, investigated complaints, conducted research on various university projects, and was responsible for Faculty Personnel and rank advancement. In 1978 he was appointed as Associate Academic Vice President.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 686
L. Robert Webb administrative records
L. Robert Webb University Forum addresses files
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives