Gold Y Chapter records
Gold Y Chapter records
Contains materials focusing on the Gold “Y” Chapter include constitutions for the chapter and the national organization, minutes, correspondence, reports, membership information, instructional materials, and scrapbook pages, many of which include photographs. Correspondence includes several letters dated 1975 from missionaries who had belonged to the Gold “Y” Chapter. Scrapbook pages include a copy of a letter from United States president Ronald Reagan dated April 4, 1983. The most prominent publication in the collection is the I.K. Shield, a newspaper-format periodical of the national organization. Some issues of “The Gold Standard,” a newsletter of the Gold “Y” Chapter, are included for years 1982-1986. Financial records of the chapter include ledger entries, invoices, canceled checks, and receipts. Only a sampling was preserved of the financial records received with the collection; the vast majority was discarded.
- Extent: 6 boxes (3 linear ft.). -- 2 oversize boxes (2.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Intercollegiate Knights. Gold Y Chapter. -- Intercollegiate Knights
- Call Number: UA 742
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection has been organized into five series. I. Gold Y Chapter records, 1953-1994. II. Intercollegiate Knights minutes, 1947-1995. III. Intercollegiate Knights publications, 1959-1993. IV. Gold Y Chapter financial records, 1972-1990. V. Gold Y Chapter Michael McCleve materials, 1983-2002. The series have been left in the original order in which it was found.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Intercollegiate Knights, Gold Y Chapter files must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: UA 742; Intercollegiate Knights, Gold Y Chapter files; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 742, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated from Intercollegiate Knights Gold Y Chapter. Donated from Michael McCleve in September 2008. Donated from Intercollegiate Knights Gold Y Chapter in July 2012.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Intercollegiate Knights Gold Y Chaper. Donated; Michael McCleve; September 2008. Donated; Intercollegiate Knights Gold Y Chapter; July 2012.
- Separated Material
- A few items were separated from the collection and placed elsewhere in the collections of the Harold B. Lee Library, including a copy of the 1985 BYU Yearbook, The Banyan, and duplicate copies of the following pieces of sheet music: Merrill Bradshaw, "The Old 'Y' Bell"; Clyde D. Sandgren, "The Cougar Song of Brigham Young University," 1947; and "Centennial Songs: Centennial Convocation, 10 October 1975."
- Related Material
- See also National Organization of the Intercollegiate Knights records, (UA 810).
- Subject Terms
- Social Life and Customs; Clubs and Societies; Intercollegiate Knights. Gold Y Chapter; Intercollegiate Knights. Gold Y Chapter--History
- Genre / Form
- Newsletters; Financial records; Letters; Reports; Scrapbooks; Photographs; Corporate minutes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Matthew Leavitt; September 2008. Processed; Stephanie Laabs; July 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- Part of University Archives; University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Gold Y Chapter records
- Finding Aid Author
- Matthew Leavitt
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-08-30 13:12:18 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Founded at the University of Washington in 1919 and becoming a national organization in 1922, the Intercollegiate Knights is a national service fraternity. At one time the Intercollegiate Knights had chapters at universities and colleges in most of the Western States. Now nationally chartered chapters exist in Utah and Idaho. Each chapter’s goal is to serve its school and community through meaningful service and continuation of traditions. The national organization is headed by a National President (Royal King) and National Vice-President (Royal Duke).
The Gold Y Chapter of the Intercollegiate Knights was founded on the Brigham Young University Campus in 1941. Gold Y was the 23rd college service fraternity to associate itself with the national organization. The strength of the Gold Y Chapter quickly gained, and at the 1951 national convention Duke Keith Orme was elected as the first Royal King from the Gold Y Chapter. The Gold Y claimed the honor of lighting the Y in 1951. By 1959 service projects included ushering at devotionals, lyceums, and football games, as well as giving campus tours and selling athletic programs and discount cards.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in UA 742
Gold Y Chapter records
Gold Y Chapter minutes
Gold Y Chapter publications
Gold Y Chapter financial records
Michael McCleve collection on Gold Y Chapter
Gold Y Chapter yearbooks and newspaper clippings
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives