Department of Political Science records

Department of Political Science records

Dates: 1955-1979

Contains correspondence, curriculum studies, graduate student records, policy documents, and other materials produced by the department. Materials date from between 1955 and 1979.

  • Extent: 7 boxes (3.5 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Brigham Young University. Department of Political Science (1921-1979)
  • Call Number: UA 815
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Closed for 75 (until 2054) years after the creation of the records and thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the Privacy Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
Languages and Scripts
English
Subject Terms
Education; Colleges and Universities; Political science--Study and teaching--Utah--Provo; Brigham Young University. Department of Political Science (1921-1979); Brigham Young University. Department of Political Science (1921-1979)--Archives
Genre / Form
Letters; Student records; Reports
Appraisal Information
Office files (Documentation Policy of the Brigham Young University Archives, July 2003).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA815
Finding Aid Title
Department of Political Science records
Finding Aid Author
Cory Nimer
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-07-23 13:05:13 -0600.
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The Department of Political Science (1921-1979) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Political Science was established in 1921 as part of the division of the earlier Department of History and Political Science, and was initially associated with both the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Commerce and Business Administration. The department was responsible for student instruction in the areas of political theory, politics, public administration, comparative government, and international law and relations. In 1954 the department was moved to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, then in 1966 to the College of Social Sciences. The department was reorganized in 1979 and renamed the Department of Government. Department chairs in political science included chairs, Christen Jensen (1921-1923, and 1936-1948), Thomas C. Romney (1924-1928), Russel B. Swensen (1950-1954), Russel B. Swensen (1954-1955), Richard D. Poll (1955-1957), Stewart L. Grow (1957-1961), Mark W. Cannon (1961-1964), Jesse W. Reeder (1964-1966), John T. Bernhard (1966-1968), Edwin B. Morrell (1968-1970), and Ray C. Hillam (1970-1979).



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu