• Home
  • UA 823
  • College of Biology and Agriculture photographs

College of Biology and Agriculture photographs

College of Biology and Agriculture photographs

Dates: approximately 1885-2005

Collection includes photographs of the deans, faculty, classes, facilities, and groups of the College of Biology and Agriculture as well as its predecessors, the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences and the College of Applied Sciences. Dated approximately 1885-2005.

  • Extent: 5 folders (0.5 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Brigham Young University. College of Biology and Agriculture. -- Brigham Young University. College of Applied Science. -- Brigham Young University. College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences
  • Call Number: UA 823
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research. Photographs: Items kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
Languages and Scripts
English
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from College of Biology and Agriculture photographs must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 823; College of Biology and Agriculture photographs; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 823, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Transferred from the College of Biology and Agriculture in 1999. Transferred from the College of Life Sciences in August 2014.
Acquisition Information
Transferred; College of Biology and Agriculture; 1999. Transferred; College of Life Sciences; August 2014.
Subject Terms
Education; Colleges and Universities; Hallam, Merrill J.; George H. Brimhall Building (Provo, Utah); Lewis Building (Provo, Utah); Harris, Franklin S. (Franklin Stewart), 1912-1999; Cottam, Clarence, 1899-; Brigham Young University--Faculty; Farnsworth, Raymond B. (Raymond Bartlett), 1915-1987; Education Building (Provo, Utah); Brigham Young University. Alpine Summer School; Brigham Young Academy--Faculty; Brigham Young University. David Starr Jordan Biology Club; Brigham Young University. College of Biology and Agriculture; Allen, A. Lester, 1923-2014; Martin, Thomas L. (Thomas Lysons), 1885-1958; McKnight, Kent H.; Stutz, Howard C., 1918-2010; Walker, R. H. (Rudger Harper), 1902-; Crookston, Robert Kent, 1943-; Brigham Young University. College of Applied Science; Brigham Young University. College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences; Smith, Bruce N. (Bruce Nephi), 1934-2014; Huber, Clayton S.
Genre / Form
Photographs
Processing Information
Processed; Lucas J. Chehda; April 2012. Processed; Hannah Waddel; August 2014.
Appraisal Information
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA823
Finding Aid Title
College of Biology and Agriculture photographs
Finding Aid Author
Lucas J. Chehda
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-10 15:34:54 -0600.
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The College of Biology and Agriculture (1983-2008) previously the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences, was established within Brigham Young University and continued under its name until it was established as the College of Life Sciences.

The college was administered by a dean under the direction of the president of the university. Between 1983 and 2008, the deans of the college were as follows: Bruce Nephi Smith (1983-1988), Clayton S. Huber (1988-1998), R. Kent Crookston (1998-2005), and Rodney J. Brown (2005-2007).

The College of Biology and Agriculture was originally organized to give students a general understanding of the fundamental principles of plant and animal life and their relationship to the world in which they live. In addition, the college facilitated agricultural research, production, marketing, and an understanding of how scientific and technological developments had a solid foundation in the basic sciences.

The College of Biology and Agriculture was the administering body for the following departments: Agricultural Economics, Agronomy and Horticulture, Animal Science, Botany and Range Science, Food Science and Nutrition, Microbiology, Zoology, Biology Teaching, Biology (Composite Teaching), Biology, Animal and Veterinary Sciences, Integrative Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology, Physiology and Developmental Biology, Plant and Animal Sciences, and Nutrition, Dietetics, and Food Science.

Administrative History

The College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences (1954-1983) was created under Brigham Young University and divided into two divisions one to instruct students in fields of biology and another to instruct in fields pertaining to agriculture.

The College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences, previously the College of Applied Science, was established within Brigham Young University in 1954 and continued in operation under its name until it was established as the College of Biology and Agriculture in 1983. Between 1954 and 1983 the deans and acting deans of the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences were as follows: Clarence Cottam (1954-1955), Raymond B. Farnsworth (1955-1959), Merrill J. Hallam (1959-1960 acting dean; 1960-1961 dean), Rudger H. Walker (1961-70), A. Lester Allen (1970-1982), and Bruce Nephi Smith (1982-1983).

The College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences was the administering body for the following departments: Agronomy, Animal Husbandry, Bacteriology, Botany, Horticulture and Horticultural Specialties, Industrial Arts and Drawing, Zoology and Entomology, Agricultural Economics, Animal Science, Horticulture, Agronomy and Horticulture, Microbiology, Biological and Agricultural Education, Botany and Range Science, Zoology, Food Science and Nutrition, and Range Science. The college was administered by a dean under the direction of the president of the university.

Administrative History

The College of Applied Science (1922-1954) was an academic college at Brigham Young University.

The College of Applied Science was responsible for administering academic departments and institutes in the area of agriculture, home economics, and industrial arts. In 1954, it split to form the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences and the College of Family Living.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu