Brigham Young University artifacts

Brigham Young University artifacts

Dates: 1950-1980

Materials include artifacts related to the history of Brigham Young University. Included are a gavel of Y Calcares, plaques, student banners, and other items. Dated 1950-1980.

  • Extent: 1 oversize folder (0.01 linear ft.). -- 2 oversize boxes (4 linear ft.)
  • Call Number: UA 838
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
Languages and Scripts
English
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Brigham Young University artifacts must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Preferred Citation
Initial citation: UA 838; Brigham Young University artifacts; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: UA 838, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Transferred to University Archives in 1999.
Acquisition Information
Transferred; University Archives; 1999.
Subject Terms
Colleges and Universities; Education
Genre / Form
Artifacts
Processing Information
Processed; Garrett Schroath; 2011.
Appraisal Information
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_UA838
Finding Aid Title
Brigham Young University artifacts
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-16T04:29-0700
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

Brigham Young University (est. 1903) is a university sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Provo, Utah.

Brigham Young University was established in 1903 in a renaming of Brigham Young Academy. Past and present Brigham Young University presidents include George H. Brimhall (1903-1921), Franklin S. Harris (1921-1945), Howard S. McDonald (1945-1949), (acting president) Christian Jensen (1949-1951), Ernest L. Wilkinson (1951-1971), Dallin H. Oaks (1971-1980), Jeffrey R. Holland (1980-1989), Rex E. Lee (1989-1995), Merrill J. Bateman (1996-2003), and Cecil O. Samuelson (2003- ).

Brigham Young University is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of the Church Educational System (CES). The university is governed by a Board of Trustees, which, since 1939, has consisted of the First Presidency of the Church as well as other General Authorities or general officers of the Church appointed by the First Presidency. The Board of Trustees provides general direction and oversees the formulation of broad policies as well as the approval of all executive leadership and faculty appointments at the university. The Board of Trustees delegates to the University President the responsibility to conduct the operations of the institution and administer the policies enacted by the board. The President serves as the chief executive officer and general manager of the University. Since 1996, the President of the university has also been a General Authority of the Church.

Brigham Young University has grown from a small academy to one of the world's largest private universities. Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU offers a unique educational environment that promotes learning by study and also by faith.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Cory Nimer
University Archivist - University Archives
cory_nimer@byu.edu