Correspondence and poems
Correspondence and poems
Four handwritten and signed letters and a book of handwritten poetry. Harmon sends one letter to his father, Jesse Pierce Harmon, and receives two letters from family members. These items describe some of the plans for the Mormon migration to Utah and the conditons of settlement there. Handwritten letter from Brigham Young, second president of the Mormon Church; dated 8 June 1866; and addressed to Harmon in Washington, Utah. Young responds to Harmon's inquiry concerning prices of goods. "If you get southern prices for your work, you should also be expected to pay southern prices for goods." Handwritten book of poems. Harmon writes about Mormon Church leaders and Mormon-related issues.
- Extent: 4 item (9 pages) + 1 vol. (48 pages)
- Creator: Harmon, Appleton Milo, 1820-1877
- Call Number: Vault MSS 404
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Correspondence and poems must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: Vault MSS 404; Correspondence and poems; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: Vault MSS 404, LTPSC.
- Other Finding Aids
- Collection-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/VMSS404.xml
- Subject Terms
- Harmon, Jesse Perse, 1795-1877; Young, Brigham, 1801-1877; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Mormon Church--Presidents; Mormon pioneers--History--Sources; Washington (Utah)--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Correspondence and poems
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Leslie Evens
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:37-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
comments powered by Disqus