Circuit Court injunction
The new site is available at http://archives.lib.byu.edu
Circuit Court injunction
Printed and handwitten injunction dated March 10, 1843, signed by Jacob B. Backenstos The item is addressed to Joseph Smith, mayor of Nauvoo, Illinois, demanding a halt in further proceedings in the case of Charles R. Dana vs. William B. Brink. The action had been taken to recover $99.
- Extent: 1 item (2 pages)
- Creator: Backenstos, Jacob B. (Jacob Benjamin), 1811-1857. -- Illinois. Circuit Court (Hancock Co.)
- Call Number: Vault MSS 416
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Circuit Court injunction must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: Vault MSS 416; Circuit Court injunction; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: Vault MSS 416, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- Brink, William B.; Dana, Charles R.; Smith, Joseph, 1805-1844; Civil Procedure and Courts; Courts--Illinois; Mormon Church--Presidents; Politics, Government, and Law
- Genre / Form
- Legal documents
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Circuit Court injunction
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Leslie Evens
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-03-30T15:42-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Circuit Court was the highest judicial authority in Hancock County.
The circuit court system was established in 1814 in Illinois Territory. The courts were given civil and criminal jurisdiction, and were originally presided over by a member of the Supreme Court assigned to the circuit. With the admission of Illinois to the Union in 1824, five circuits were established with separate judges appointed to the circuit courts. Hancock County was formed in 1825, with the original courthouse in Montebello. In 1827 the circuit judges were removed and replaced by the Supreme Court justices. In 1833 the Hancock County courthouse was moved to Carthage. In 1835, separate circuit judges were again appointed and a sixth circuit created. This continued until 1841, when the circuit courts were again dissolved and the Supreme Court judges returned to the circuit courts. Then, with the Constitution of 1848, the courts again were placed under the direction of circuit judges.
comments powered by Disqus