Kit Carson papers
Kit Carson papers
Correspondence, military dispatches, a deed, a Taos County Resolution, and two payment vouchers. Nine of these items are personal in nature and are addressed to Carson from friends and family members. The remaining thirty-five letters are concerned with and document Indian affairs. They include instructions from superiors, official correspondence regarding military actions during the American Civil War in the West. They document aspects of the Jicarilla War of 1854-55, the Mescalero Campaign of 1862-3, the Navajo Expedition of 1863-64, and the possibility of using forces against Texas in 1862.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Carleton, James Henry, 1814-1873. -- Carson, Kit, 1809-1868
- Call Number: Vault MSS 513
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: Vault MSS 513; Kit Carson papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: Vault MSS 513, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs; Apache Indians--Wars--History--Sources; Comanche Indians--Wars--History--Sources; Correspondence; Indian agents--United States--Correspondence; Jicarilla Indians--Wars--History--Sources; Material Types; Mescalero Indians--Wars--History--Sources; Navajo Indians--Wars--History--Sources; New Mexico--History--Civil War, 1861-1865; New York (N.Y.)--Description and travel; Paris (France)--Description and travel; Taos County (N.M.)--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Dispatches; Letters
- Abatement (Judicial functions)
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Carson (Kit) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Leslie Evens
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-24T04:22-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
American frontiersman, army scout, and Indian agent.
comments powered by Disqus