Abraham H. Cannon diaries
Abraham H. Cannon diaries
Cannon details his daily life, including family, church, and business affairs; frequent attendance at the theatre in Salt Lake City; and incarceration for practicing plural marriage, 1886. Diaries are handwritten, 1879-1891, and typed, 1892-1895.
- Extent: 6 boxes (3 linear ft.)
- Creator: Cannon, Abraham H. (Abraham Hoagland), 1859-1896
- Call Number: Vault MSS 62
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Original volumes restricted. Photocopy, in boxes 4-6, available for patron use. Permission to view originals must be approved by Special Collections reference librarian.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Related title Index to the journal of Abraham Hoagland Cannon (1859-96)
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: Vault MSS 62; Abraham H. Cannon diaries; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: Vault MSS 62, LTPSC.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/VMSS62.xml
- Subject Terms
- Cannon, Abraham H. (Abraham Hoagland), 1859-1896--Diaries; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. First Council of the Seventy; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Apostles--Diaries; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--England; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Germany; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Switzerland; Deseret Sunday School Union; Juvenile Instructor Office; Material Types; Polygamy--Utah--History--19th century; Salt Lake City (Utah)--Social life and customs--19th century
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Cannon (Abraham H.) diaries
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Jennifer Kim
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-01-30T15:24-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in England, Switzerland, and Germany, 1879-1882; member of the Church's First Council of Seventy, 1882-1889; and member of the Council of the Twelve Apostles beginning in 1889. Cannon was also a member of the Deseret Sunday School Union Board. He was manager of the Juvenile Instructor publishing company and was involved in numerous other business interests in Utah.
comments powered by Disqus