John Henry Gibbs papers
John Henry Gibbs papers
The John Henry Gibbs Collection deals mainly with Gibbs' mission. The collection is organized into the following categories: genealogical information, journals, notebooks and miscellaneous items, letters, personal history of Louisa Gibbs, articles written about the Tennessee Massacre and books owned by Gibbs.
- Extent: 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Gibbs, John Henry, 1853-1884
- Call Number: Vault MSS 741
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: Vault MSS 741; John Henry Gibbs papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: Vault MSS 741, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- This collection has come from two Gibbs family sources: the bulk of the material was donated in 1990 by John Gibbs Ellingson and his family of Salt Lake City. Additional items, including John Gibbs letters and the midwife record books of Louisa Gibbs were donated in 1990-91 by Dorothy Bunnell of Price, Utah.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/VMSS741.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Southern States; Gibbs, John Henry, 1853-1884--Diaries; Home and Family; Mormon Church--Missions--Southern States--History; Social Life and Customs
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Electronic books; Letters
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Gibbs (John Henry) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Leslie Evens
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T11:53-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
John Henry Gibbs was born on July 28, 1853 in Havorford, West Pembroke, Wales. He was the third son and sixth child of George Duggan and Ellen Phillips Gibbs. He, along with his family, was baptized on August 28, 1862.
comments powered by Disqus