Elias Hicks Blackburn papers
Elias Hicks Blackburn papers
These records form a significant boyd of material which document the early ecclesiastical history of Provo, Utah. Elias H. Blackburn was one of the first Bishops of Provo (1851-57) and these records document various activities of the new community, the 34th Quorum of the Seventy, the Mormon Reformation (1855-56), and the move south by the inhabitants of the Salt Lake Valley during the Utah War (1857-58). They offer accounts of sermons of the period by several prominent Church leaders and document the response of the community, including rebaptisms and Church disciplinary matters. The record of Elias H. Blackburn also includes Blackburn's personal family record. Blackburn was later called to be bishop of Loa, Utah, and the Manti Temple record account dates from this period. The Seventy record book was recorded by quorum clerks William W. Allen and John Leetham.
- Extent: 1 box (6 folders) ; .5 linear feet
- Creator: Blackburn, Elias Hicks, 1827-1908. -- Leetham, John. -- McEwan, John, 1824-1878
- Call Number: Vault MSS 785
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: For reference use only. Originals restricted due to fragile condition. No photocopying is permitted.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Elias Hicks Blackburn papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: Vault MSS 785; Elias Hicks Blackburn papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: Vault MSS 785, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated to BYU Library by Blackburn's descendant. The Seventy Record Book was previously in the Partridge Collection (MSS 1544) and was added to this collection because of Blackburn's involvement as bishop.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/VMSS785.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Loa Ward (Loa, Utah); Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Provo Ward (Provo, Utah); Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--History; Evans, Charles D.; Manti Temple (Manti, Utah); Utah Expedition (1857-1858); 3-D television; Religion; Loa (Utah)--History--Sources; Melchizedek Priesthood (Mormon Church)--Seventies; Mormon Reformation, 1856-1857; Provo (Utah)--History
- Genre / Form
- Account books
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Blackburn (Elias Hicks) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Leslie Evens
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-06-01T04:26-0600
- Finding Aid Language
comments powered by Disqus