L. John Nuttall papers
L. John Nuttall papers
Handwritten diaries, correspondence, lists, minutes, patriarchal blessings, and notes. The materials relate to Nuttall's involvement in numerous Mormon Church and Utah Militia activities. Nuttall's position as secretary to the president of the Mormon Church allowed him to record various items on church conduct and doctrine. He records many of the meetings of the ruling bodies of that faith. Nuttall also recounts campaigns against the Ute Indians during the Black Hawk War (1865-1872) and other Utah Militia activities. The diaries are in 28 volumes. These materials were formerly cataloged under MSS 188.
- Extent: 7 boxes (3.5 linear feet)
- Creator: Nuttall, L. John (Leonard John), 1834-1905
- Call Number: Vault MSS 790
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Access with permission of the curator of nineteenth century Western and Mormon Americana. Originals restricted. Photocopies for patron use.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: Vault MSS 790; L. John Nuttall papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: Vault MSS 790, LTPSC.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/VMSS790.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Apostles--History; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Doctrines--History; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--History; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Presidents--History; Nuttall, L. John (Leonard John), 1834-1905--Archives; Utah. Militia--History; Black Hawk War (Utah), 1865-1872; Military; Mormons--Utah--History; Patriarchal blessings (Mormon Church)--History; Politics, Government, and Law; Polygamy--Religious aspects--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--History
- Genre / Form
- Corporate minutes; Diaries; Letters; Notes
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Nuttall (L. John) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Leslie Evens
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:38-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Utah militia leader who held numerous leadership positions for the Mormon Church.
comments powered by Disqus