John K. Kane papers
John K. Kane papers
Contains correspondence, biographical materials, and other documents related to early Kane family and business activities, as well as the papers of the Kane. Includes both personal papers and materials relating to his work as a judge and political figure. Materials date from between 1773 and 1916.
- Extent: 8 boxes
- Creator: Kane, John K. (John Kintzing), 1795-1858
- Call Number: Vault MSS 792 Series 1
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in six subseries: 1. John K. Kane biographical materials. 2. John K. Kane papers on ancestors and relatives. 3. John K. Kane family correspondence. 4. John K. Kane professional papers. 5. John K. Kane correspondence with political leaders. 6. John K. Kane certificates, letters, and other material.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Kane family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Publications derived from manuscripts in the collection include Elizabeth W. Kane, Twelve Mormon Homes (1874); A Gentile Account of Life in Utah's Dixie, 1872-73: Elizabeth Kane's St. George Journal (1995); and John K. Kane Autobiography (privately published, 1949).
- Preferred Citation
- John K. Kane papers; Vault MSS 792; Kane family papers; L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/VMSS792.xml
- Subject Terms
- Kane, John K. (John Kintzing), 1795-1858
- Genre / Form
- Biography; Letters
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Kane family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Leslie Evens
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-10-29 18:53:05 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
John K. Kane (1795-1858) was a Philadelphia lawyer, legislator, and judge.
John Kintzing Kane was born May 16, 1795 in Albany, New York to Elisha Kane and Alida Van Rensselaer, and later moved to Philadelphia early in the 1800s. He graduated from Yale in 1814, and studied law in Philadelphia until he was admitted to the bar April 8, 1817. A supporter of President Andrew Jackson, Kane was appointed by him as a commissioner to settle claims with France at the July 4th, 1831 convention. Kane was appointed Attorney General of the state of Pennsylvania in 1845, but soon resigned to become a U.S. District Court judge. Kane married Jane Duval Leiper on April 20, 1819, and together they had six children, including arctic explorer Elisha Kent Kane, and Civil War general Thomas L. Kane. He died in Philadelphia of pneumonia on February 21, 1858.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in Vault MSS 792
John K. Kane papers
Thomas L. Kane personal papers
Thomas L. Kane papers on the Mormons
Thomas L. Kane papers on the American West and politics
Thomas L. Kane papers on the Civil War
Elizabeth Wood Kane papers
Kane family personal papers
Kane family business papers
E. Kent Kane papers
Thomas L. Kane deeds, letters, and other material
Kane family lithographs, clippings, and other material
Kane family photographs
Dates: approximately 1850-1982
Subseries in Series 1
John K. Kane biographical materials
John K. Kane papers on ancestors and relatives
John K. Kane family correspondence
John K. Kane professional papers
John K. Kane correspondence with political leaders
John K. Kane certificates, letters, and other material
Help with this Collection
Curator - 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts