E. Kent Kane papers
E. Kent Kane papers
Contains materials documenting the life and Kane family history research conducted by E. Kent Kane. Includes materials on Kane's personal relationship with Mormon leaders, research files, and related items. Items date from between 1830 and 1982.
- Extent: 8 boxes
- Creator: Kane (Family : Kane, Thomas L. (Thomas Leiper), 1822-1883)
- Call Number: Vault MSS 792 Series 9
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in four subseries: 1. Papers on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 2. Personal papers. 3. Research on the Kane family. 4. General research.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Kane family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Publications derived from manuscripts in the collection include Elizabeth W. Kane, Twelve Mormon Homes (1874); A Gentile Account of Life in Utah's Dixie, 1872-73: Elizabeth Kane's St. George Journal (1995); and John K. Kane Autobiography (privately published, 1949).
- Preferred Citation
- E. Kent Kane papers; Vault MSS 792; Kane family papers; L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/VMSS792.xml
- Subject Terms
- Mormons; Cain family; Kane, E. Kent (Elisha Kent); Kane, E. Kent (Elisha Kent)--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Research (Documents); Letters; Notes
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Kane family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Leslie Evens
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-10-29 18:53:05 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
E. Kent Kane (1902-1980) was a lawyer and industrialist in Pennsylvania.
Elisha Kent Kane was born on April 19, 1902 in Germantown, Pennsylvania to Elisha Kent Kane and Griselda "Zella" Ellen Hays. He trained to be a lawyer, and practiced in McKean County. He married Alma Rae Bryan (1902-1972) on March 17, 1929 in McKean County, and they had three children though they later divorced. Kane was became involved in industry and was active in the community, serving six terms in the Pennsylvania State Legislature. During World War II he joined the Navy, and served as a Lieutenant Commander. After the war Kane married Dorothy Heller Bergley in 1951, and they had one child together. This union was not to last either, and 1960 he married the third time to Clara Frieda Browning. Kane died in March 1980 in Smethport, Pennsylvania.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in Vault MSS 792
John K. Kane papers
Thomas L. Kane personal papers
Thomas L. Kane papers on the Mormons
Thomas L. Kane papers on the American West and politics
Thomas L. Kane papers on the Civil War
Elizabeth Wood Kane papers
Kane family personal papers
Kane family business papers
E. Kent Kane papers
Thomas L. Kane deeds, letters, and other material
Kane family lithographs, clippings, and other material
Kane family photographs
Dates: approximately 1850-1982
Subseries in Series 9
E. Kent Kane papers on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
E. Kent Kane personal papers
E. Kent Kane research on the Kane family
E. Kent Kane general research
Help with this Collection
Curator - 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts