Jacob Hamblin papers
Jacob Hamblin papers
The letter from Brigham Young to Jacob Hamblin in this collection was written about one month before the Mountain Meadows Massacre took place. In it, Young appoints Hamblin to be president of the Santa Clara Indian mission and tells him to keep good relations with the Indians. This collection also contains four blessings given to Jacob Hamblin.
- Extent: 3 folders (0.3 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hamblin, Jacob, 1819-1886. -- Tyler, Daniel, 1816-1906. -- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Call Number: Vault MSS 815
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted. Register available (3 pages).
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Conservation Work: Washed, paper repair, deacidified, and encapsulation (March 19, 2004)
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 815; Jacob Hamblin papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 815, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- These items were in the possession of descendants of Jacob Hamblin until they were donated to BYU by Camilla Lee Ohlwiler, a granddaughter of Jacob Hamblin, in 2002.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/VMSS815.xml
- Subject Terms
- Hamblin, Jacob, 1819-1886; Beaver (Utah); Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormons; Patriarchal blessings (Mormon Church); Salt Lake City (Utah)
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hamblin (Jacob) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Leslie Evens
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-23T04:25-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Jacob Hamblin (1819-1886) was a missionary in southern Utah and became a well-known Indian agent and peacemaker. He mediated between the settlers and the Indians and helped to work out treaties between them.
comments powered by Disqus